Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

L61 Ecotec timing problem

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question L61 Ecotec timing problem

I have a freshly built L61 Ecotec still on the engine stand. I set the engine to TDC cylinder #1, installed my cams close to where they should be and proceeded to put the chain on. Everything looks good, the crank sprocket is at around 5 o'clock, the cams at 10 and 2. my problem comes from when I put some air in the cylinder. I can feel air coming from both the exhaust and intake ports on cylinder #1. cylinder #4 is sealed up tight no air leaks other than a bit from around the rings which I believe is normal on a dry engine. I have done the timing over just to be sure I didn't miss anything. The valve train is all new, all the timing components are all new, as well as the camshafts.

I was under the impression that the #1 cylinder should be at the top of the compression stroke, and therefore no air should be escaping. Is that not correct? Is there something simple I'm overlooking?
Old August 1st, 2014, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned it over once to TDC again and there were no bad noises and cyl#1 is now at the compression stroke. the cam gear marks are opposite now.
Old August 4th, 2014, 7:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During exhaust stroke both valves are open at TDC.