Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

limp mode help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation limp mode help!!!!

I have a 2001 cavalier, and im 99% sure its in limp mode. Shifts hard into gear when I put it in drive. Can only use revers and is stuck in second gear, can only go about 30mph... is there a way to reset it so I can drive it. I am positive there is nothing wrong with the tranny.. might have beat on it a little the other night ..... so could it have slipped a little and the pcm threw a code or what? Idk I just think if there is a way to reset it all will be fine.. please all the help I can get would be very much appreciated!!!!
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You'll want to take it in for service. The the malfunction indicator is for emission control malfunction events. They should be able to scan for trouble code(s) even if the malfunction indicator is presently not lit. The PCM won't get out of that mode as long as whatever problem exists.
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I scanned the car with my Matco scanner and it came up with the codes for shif solenoid a and shift solenoid b, also torque converter clutch pulse width modulation solenoid... I understand all of them but the last one.. and its pretty odd that all of them would go out all at the same time. And yes just for grins I cleared to codes and obviously 5 seconds after I started the car it threw the codes again... hope I can get some more info from ya! And I work in a shop and have some good conections but the last thing im gonna do is bring it to a dealer lol. Just trying to avoid getting a new tranny if I can at all...
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The next time you may want to post the actual trouble codes so there's no ambiguity. The PWM solenoid for the TCC is because you can't have just on and off on the TCC. The solenoids are internal to the transaxle. They get the ignition voltage (i.e., hot in run or start) from the 10A ERLS fuse in the fuse block. The PCM grounds the solenoid circuit to actuate each solenoid and senses electrical problems like the absence of the voltage. Look for a 14-conductor wiring harness terminating at a round connector that's plugged into the transaxle. If there's good voltage on both sides of the ERLS fuse with key on, try reseating the electrical connector at the transaxle (with key off, of course):