Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Misfiring after car cools for 10-15 minutes

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfiring after car cools for 10-15 minutes

Vehicle- 1996 Cavalier 2.4 auto

Car starts up with no issues in the morning (ambient temperatures between 25F-50F) and runs great all the way to work which is about a 30min drive city and highway. Leaving work in the evening car starts up and runs great all the way home.

On my way home, after the car is warmed up (195f), I stop at a store or just let the car sit anywhere from 10-20 minutes, get back in, car starts up and idles fine, as soon as I hit the gas it immediately start so lose power, and misfire. Hitting the gas pedel doesn't change the idle of the engine, it kinda does what it wants, it either starts running great again, or it dies. This only happens in about a 10-15 second period. then the car runs great until I get to where I am going.

Today, I was sitting idle for about 15min talking to a buddy, the car started studdering, then once I put it in gear it died. It struggled to start back up and once it did I tried to take off. It was studdering and misfiring then died. I was in a walmart parking lot so I decided all I could do there is buy 4 new plugs. I put 4 new platinum plugs in it, which it calls for, and the plugs I took out where not platinum, and looked old and white on the tips. The car started up rough for about 2 seconds, then idled perfectly and ran better than ever all the way home.

When I got home, I let the car sit for about 15 minutes. I started it up again, idled no problem, hit the gas and it started studdering and misfiring each time I revved the engine to around 2 grand and above.

What should I replace or check next?! Any help is much appreciated!