Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

NEED HELP cavalier "surges"

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2013, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that actually helps a lot my next question for you is is disconnecting the throttle cables discouraged or is it okay I don't want to have to have it readjusted when that's done or doesn't have studds that keep the cables preset into the certain position?
Old August 28th, 2013, 5:43 AM
CF Junior Member

The cables only go in or come out one way. You can't mess it up.
Old August 28th, 2013, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Good to know, also I ask buying me a Bluetooth OBD2 that I can connect to the car sand it will allow me to record ALL the stats of the engine during the drive, this way if cleaning the title body doesnt work I can look at the stats to see what is"dipping"or "surging". I'll keep you posted
Old August 28th, 2013, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

I clean the throttle body and have yet to test it out but if it does not work I did read something about the TPS also known as the Throttle Position Sensor it said if that is going bad that you're surging could be the byproduct of it if you can expand on this and tell me if that would be worth replacing
Old April 14th, 2014, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cavalier Surging Problem

I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier that would surge at idle. It was like the car was having a seizure. It would bog down than the RPMs would jump back up. Ran fine when driving. I replaced the IAC,the TPS, new spark plugs and nothing fixed it. I was getting so annoyed. Finally I had my brothers friend look at it who worked at a GM Dealer and luckily had an extra coil pack. Come to find out I had a few vacuum leaks and my coil pack was bad. Don't go buying parts and wasting $$$. Find someone who knows what they're doing because it could be a million things. The coil pack was $100 from advanced and got it for $60 because look for coupons online. Hope this helps, I know I looked everywhere for an answer.