Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

New to me 98, egr/non egr issues

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2016, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 98, egr/non egr issues

Hi guys. Ive had a few cavaliers over the years but im having a few issues with the current project, a 98 2 door 5 speed 160k..
I have a nice 96 but the trans is going out on it, along with a bad head gasket again after redoing it a few months back. Since all my parts are new i was going to swap them to the 98.
When i bought the car the head was pulled with a possible cracked head. I went to the junkyard and got a good lookng head but it does not have a egr valve as my car came with one. I was going to make a block off plate under the intake and delete the egr. What issues am i going to run into this? I know it may be possible that it needs reprogramed but im hoping not. Ive slowly worked on the car for the past week and dont want to waste a set of head bolts putting it on if its going to give me major issues. Im not worried about a check engine light.. Should i just skip it and find a head with a egr on it? Ive searched through the yards here so im kinda stuck with what i have. Thanks guys
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice but needs to run..

I dont like the way that valve looks. No damage to plug so it wasnt a object. The engine looked recently rebuilt, possibly a new valve?

The 98

96 auto. intake, cherry bomb exhaust, michelin tires. Paid 600 for this with rims.