Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

No traction light comes on, then car stalls

Old September 1st, 2015, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No traction light comes on, then car stalls

Okay. a few days ago i was driving home. i started my car 2003 Chevy Cavalier Ecotec Automatic 4 door sedan. i drove it less that 500 ft and it felt weird, as if my car was going to die. i was going down a steep hill, so just assumed that it didn't get gas. once at the bottom of the hill i take off, and it didn't accelerate like normal, as if it wasn't getting gas. it eventually picked up speed and i got up to 55 mph. the low traction light came on and stayed on. i drove for about a mile before slowing down and the car wouldn't accelerate anymore with my foot on the pedal. Got a ride home, let it sit for about 3 hours, then went back to diagnosis the problem. checked fuses under the hood and all the fuses under the dash and found no blown fuses. Checked the relay as my brother turned the key over, and i heard a audible click. Removed the coil pack and checked the spark plugs, unplugged the battery to reset the car, and tried to start it again. it clicks over like it wants to start. battery is good, it gets a good crank, but doesn't start. seems it is not getting fuel. My gauge showed that i had a 1/4 tank full, so i ran to the store and got 4 more gallons and stuck it in the car. still no start. Let it sit overnight. returned the next day and tried starting it up and same thin, so i towed it home. once i got home, i tried to start it again and got a little more crank then normal, sounded like it was very close to starting, so i kept trying till my battery went dead. headlights were on the whole time i was towing it and the hazard lights on and the many failed attempts at trying to start it drained the battery. stuck the battery on a charger and let it slow charge for 6 hours. i assumed it was the fuel pump. had my wife click it over while i listened for the noise near the tank. i couldn't hear anything at all. also tried to listen near the gas tank and still couldn't hear the pump engaging. assuming that was the problem, i spent the next few hours removing all the lines and dropping the gas tank. took the fuel pump out and inspected it. looked good. stuck it back in the tank and wired it back up and had my wife turn the key and i could hear it. had her do it again and watched as the fuel sprayed out the hose almost with the force of a super soak-er. i called it a night as it was already past 11pm. My question is where should i look next. what else can i check, if my fuel pump is working, what else could cause my car to not start. i plan to check on the filter after work today and reassemble the wires, hoses and tank and see it i can get it to start. just wanted to get a early start on this forum as i know it may take some time before it is responded too. Also want to note that when i turn the key over, i am seeing the check engine light, the battery light, and the oil light on as normal. so i am assuming the PCM is not the issue, so far. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as specific as possible. any suggestions were to trouble shoot next would be appreciated. THANKS
Old September 1st, 2015, 6:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

so if I got this correct:

originally, the engine lacked power.....or the engine was ok and the car wouldn't accelerate? the engine was still starting and running at this point?

after doing a bunch of stuff, the engine will crank over but not start?