Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

obd2 code reading without tool

Old September 25th, 2008, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 code reading without tool

I'm sorry if i'm repeating a common post. I have had trouble finding info on this for some reason.... How do i get the check engine light to flash codes? I'm not familiar with the procedure for obd2 chevrolets, or cavaliers in specific. I am working on my sisters 96 cavalier with the 2.2, its not getting a spark, and i just changed the ICM/ coils.. I dont have a reader, and would like to check the codes. Thanks for your help
Old October 1st, 2008, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: obd2 code reading without tool

Nobody knows how to get CEL flash codes?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 5:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without scanner/code reader or factory scan tool tech2 you cannot pull the code.If you can let me know how to-
by the way did you check Ckp sensor for no spark?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

hey thanks for the reply. I am changing up the crank and cam sensors right away, ill let you know how it works out... since they are the last things to replace on my 'list' of culprits. I dont have the haynes manual at the moment, its on its way to me, so i dont know how to test most of these components. Like the cks i heard needs to be tested using a magnet to see if there is a voltage spike when a mag field is induced... ill keep you posted
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

to test the ckp sensor, you need to locate the 2 wires comings from it, and using a graphing multimeter, or an analog multimeter, connect the meter to both leads of the ckp sensor. crank the motor and you should get an a\c voltage varying from -1v to +1volt.
You should get a nice consitant sine wave on the graph.
The tools needed to test them can get kind of pricey so most people usually just replace them for less than $50.
Another way of testing them, if to just crank the motor and watch the rpm gauge on the cluster. If your getting a constant rpm of around 100rpm, usually its not that culprit.
Old October 6th, 2008, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having a bit of a problem getting the sensor out of the block! I've never seen one so frozen. And the 22mm head on that sensor cant take the torque apparently. Has anybody had this trouble before? I dont want to go in with heat, and go pounding if this is completely uncommon.