Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Passlock? 97 Cavalier will not start! Help? *sigh*

Old July 17th, 2008, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passlock? 97 Cavalier will not start! Help? *sigh*

I am hoping someone here can give me some advice, ideas.. I appreciate you time and help sooo much!!

First, I have a 1997 Cavalier RS, automatic, 2.2 engine. The car has the PASSLOCK anti theft system (original, not Passlock II)..

*Cranks, does not turn over/start..
*OBD II detects no trouble codes..
*Fuel Pump does not come on..
*Anti theft light stays on steady, doesn't flash..
*PCM and Wiring Harness have been replaced..

I had trouble almost a year ago with the PCM/Engine computer, and bought a new one from Autozone - they ofcourse sent it out to have it flashed for my specific VIN. After replacing the PCM, and doing the "Turn the ket for 10 minutes, then start" thing, it started, and everything was great!

Until one day, driving down the road, the PCM literally fell out of the car, and was ran over, twice. =/ This, ofcourse, damaged the PCM, and the engine wiring harness.

(I had the most difficult time ordering a new PCM from Autozone. First, I had one on order, had to borrow a car, and drive 50 miles to pick it up - only to find that the part was somehow not shipped, the order wasn't completed! So... I called another Autzone, in another town, and before going to pick it up, I called ahead, and again.......it didn't come in. So, finally... The part came in at the original store, and I got another ride to go pick it up.)

The PCM was hooked up, along with the wiring harness that I had to buy at a salvage yard (the original snapped when the PCM fell out - and the only place to purchase new is dealership, at around $1200!!! ....So, I had to go with the salvage yard).
The OBD II was reading "P1336", crankshaft relearn required? So.. Tried everything, nothing was working. The car would turn over, but not start, not even for a second or two. The anti-theft light would come on - not flashing, just staying on steady.

I then took this PCM back, thinking it may have been defective. This PCM has been hooked up.. The OBD II no longer reads "P1336". It finds no trouble codes at all... But.. The anti-theft light is still staying on steady. Now, the "check engine" light is also on.. And same deal, it turns over, with no start!

The "turn the key to ACC for 10 minutes, try to start" has been tried.. I'm so lost.

This is my only car, and it's been sooooo difficult being without a vehicle!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!! =)

~Sasha

GypsySunrise24649@gmail.com
Old July 19th, 2008, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Passlock? 97 Cavalier will not start! Help? *sigh*

Just a thought - As I understand it, you tried the passlock relearn procedure by leaving the ignition switch in the ACC mode for 10 minutes. The correct procedure is to put and leave the ignition switch in the run position, wait 10 minutes then try and start the car. If the car doesn't start turn off the ignition switch for 10 seconds and then once again put the ignition switch in run and wait another 10 minutes and then try restarting the car again.

During the 10 minute relearn cycle the security light may be flashing, or may be on steady it may go off after 10 minutes or remain on.

This is the procedure that work for me when I replaced the keylock cylinder on my son's 96 Cavalier.

For what it's worth