Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

PLEASE HELP!!! Says it's overheating, but I don't think it is... Now it won't start!

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2016, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!! Says it's overheating, but I don't think it is... Now it won't start!

Hello,

I have spent countless hours reading past problems regarding this issue with nothing specific to my situation. So I figured I would bring it to the experts.. you guys!

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2.2 L 5 spd.

I purchased the car approx.. 1 year ago just after it had a head gasket, timing chain, and fuel pump replacement. That was approx. 10,000 km ago?

The heat gauge was always a little finicky. It would climb up to the red while driving. I have pulled over while this happens and no bubbling, no puking fluid. The performance was never affected. Shortly after that I noticed that after it reached operating temperature, a slight surge in the lights would occur. At that very moment the temperature gauge would start to climb... every time. Then it would slowly back off to operating temperature and remain there until the end of my trip. Recently, (as temperatures dropped below 0 degrees Celsius, (BC, Canada), I noticed that the heat wasn't very powerful but warm never the less, also the temperature gauge was reluctant to come back down from the red zone.. In the last 3 days, the heat would fail completely and blow cold, then come back on for only brief moments, (not nearly effective enough to battle -20 degrees). Yesterday, the car had troubles starting. I had to put the pedal to the floor after turning the key to get to fire. Ran a little rough briefly then acted normal, (aside from the problems I listed previously), for the rest of my trip. This morning it would not fire at all, almost drained the battery trying.

I will mention that I replaced the thermostat, the Coolant, (Engine), Temperature Sensor and air filter 2 days ago with no change. There is no rust in the reservoir. The upper rad hose is hot after operation. I am not loosing coolant. However yesterday I did notice that it was a little low and that while in the red, it seemed to trickle out of the overflow.

Can anyone tell me what steps I need to take in order to figure this problem out? I am really hoping for good news as I cannot afford a hefty repair and it is currently my only vehicle available to drive half hour to work everyday.

Thank you to whoever can help in this matter!
Old December 21st, 2016, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by CDavies1980
Hello,

I have spent countless hours reading past problems regarding this issue with nothing specific to my situation. So I figured I would bring it to the experts.. you guys!

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2.2 L 5 spd.

I purchased the car approx.. 1 year ago just after it had a head gasket, timing chain, and fuel pump replacement. That was approx. 10,000 km ago?

The heat gauge was always a little finicky. It would climb up to the red while driving. I have pulled over while this happens and no bubbling, no puking fluid. The performance was never affected. Shortly after that I noticed that after it reached operating temperature, a slight surge in the lights would occur. At that very moment the temperature gauge would start to climb... every time. Then it would slowly back off to operating temperature and remain there until the end of my trip. Recently, (as temperatures dropped below 0 degrees Celsius, (BC, Canada), I noticed that the heat wasn't very powerful but warm never the less, also the temperature gauge was reluctant to come back down from the red zone.. In the last 3 days, the heat would fail completely and blow cold, then come back on for only brief moments, (not nearly effective enough to battle -20 degrees). Yesterday, the car had troubles starting. I had to put the pedal to the floor after turning the key to get to fire. Ran a little rough briefly then acted normal, (aside from the problems I listed previously), for the rest of my trip. This morning it would not fire at all, almost drained the battery trying.

I will mention that I replaced the thermostat, the Coolant, (Engine), Temperature Sensor and air filter 2 days ago with no change. There is no rust in the reservoir. The upper rad hose is hot after operation. I am not loosing coolant. However yesterday I did notice that it was a little low and that while in the red, it seemed to trickle out of the overflow.

Can anyone tell me what steps I need to take in order to figure this problem out? I am really hoping for good news as I cannot afford a hefty repair and it is currently my only vehicle available to drive half hour to work everyday.

Thank you to whoever can help in this matter!

Sounds like the water pump needs replaced. Without researching I'm not sure if that models water pump is on the outside of the motor or inside?
Old December 21st, 2016, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like the water pump needs replaced. Without researching I'm not sure if that models water pump is on the outside of the motor or inside?

One other thing to check is the heater core. In most cases the floor will be damp/wet under the dash, if heater core is located behind dash.