Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

PLEASE HELP. Transmission/cv axle problem??

Old November 10th, 2016, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP. Transmission/cv axle problem??

I have a 1998 z24 2.4 DOHC manual transmission cavalier. Back in March I was driving home, kinda driving hard, I pulled off from a stop light I hit 2nd or 3rd gear, I believe second (don't remember well, happened in March) and something felt like it clearly broke and my car jerked very aggressivly to the drivers side and almost put me in the ditch deviding a 4 lane hwy so I immediately pulled over. I checked my tie rods and ball joints and nothing felt loose or looked misplaced, I got back in and pulled off and it started to pull and fight very hard to the drivers side and then it would give all at once and send me straight into my counter steer, it kept doing this for about 2-4 miles (tried to make it home) the last time that it gave and jerked back to the passenger side it completely disconnected and when I tried to accelerate it wouldn't do anything but rev and you could hear something trying to spin but it just clicks. I towed it to a shop and I told them I thought it was my drivers side cv axle, he tried to drive it in the shop but nothing but clicks, he put it on the lift and climbed in it, put it in gear, hit the gas, wheels spin, no issues, put the weight of the car on it agian, just clicks. He literally looked at it, spun the drivers tire, says it's the transmission, he doesn't do transmissions and tells me to take it somewhere else. ANY thoughts on what this might be??? PLEASE HELP
Old November 11th, 2016, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

sounds like a cv...i agree...maybe the drive shaft is spinning inside the tranny..gear splines shaved off? have you been peeling out alot.
check for motor mounts that may be broken after you check this other thing out.
hope you find your problem..hard to tell what it is without pulling the whole cv shaft out..its an easy thing to do anyway. but go ahead and tow it to the tranny shop. They will tell you what it is... sometimes they will charge almost ninty bucks to ..see what it is.. tell you .. and you give them the ok to fix it....if its needed to be done.. it may go into over a thousand or two to fix it. worst case.. a rebuilt tranny?
kat
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

update: replaced the cv axle, did not fix it, what would i have to do in order to get a 00 or newer transmission to fit in it?
Old January 31st, 2017, 4:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Try a salvage yard. They have interchange books that will leave no doubt as to what will interchange.

Search this Thread