Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Please tell me i'm not a fool

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me i'm not a fool

My daughter just buy a 2002 chevy cavalier, original owner, 63K miles and very clean car. Now my problem, the radio didn't shut off when she stop the car, take out the key and open the door. When i try it myself everything work as it should, beleive me we do trying it several time and it always did the same thing, my wife who's heavier then our girl try it either and same as me everything fine. My daughter weight about 100 pounds, i am 215 and my wife ( I don't have the right to tell LOL) is more heavier then our girl.
Is it posible that there is a weight sensor underneath the driver seat ?

PS: i already changed the driver door switch.

Best Regards and merry Christmas all
Old December 15th, 2013, 2:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

with the key removed from the ignition, the radio can be shut off in 2 ways:

-by pushing the on/off button on the radio
-by opening the drivers door which shuts off the retained accessory power or RAP

the door switch provides a grd that signals shut down of RAP. if that signal is not received the RAP will shut off power to the radio 10minutes after the car is shut off

the driver seat or weight of the driver has no part of it.

does the interior dome light turn on when the driver door is opened?

Last edited by tech2; December 15th, 2013 at 2:58 PM.
Old December 15th, 2013, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
with the key removed from the ignition, the radio can be shut off in 2 ways:

-by pushing the on/off button on the radio
-by opening the drivers door which shuts off the retained accessory power or RAP

the door switch provides a grd that signals shut down of RAP. if that signal is not received the RAP will shut off power to the radio 10minutes after the car is shut off

the driver seat or weight of the driver has no part of it.

does the interior dome light turn on when the driver door is opened?
Yes the dome light turn on when we opened the driver door, when she (my daughter) turn off the radio before turning off the engine, only the clock light stays on even when she open the door and even that doesn't happens when i done it. I wrote somewhere that if there is no ajar signal on the dashboard (that's my case) when the door is open and ignition is on that it can be the latch door switch.
Thanks for your help
Old December 15th, 2013, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by JF1957
Yes the dome light turn on when we opened the driver door, when she (my daughter) turn off the radio before turning off the engine, only the clock light stays on even when she open the door and even that doesn't happens when i done it. I wrote somewhere that if there is no ajar signal on the dashboard (that's my case) when the door is open and ignition is on that it can be the latch door switch.
Thanks for your help
Sorry i've made a mistake, i wanted to write "i reed" instead of "i wrote"
Old December 15th, 2013, 7:40 PM
Super Moderator

sorry could not understand your last post.

if the done light goes on and off with the driver door open and closed; you know the door switch is working.
Old December 15th, 2013, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

OK, excuse me but it is a little hard to explain all what i'm being thru since that issue beging. Let me take it from the start, first i think that we should forget the dome light, for my tought it's working just fine, lite went door open and close after about ten second when door closing. Major problem is the radio/clock, it doesn't shut off when my daughter's living the car but when i try it, it work just fine (radio is playing until i open the door) so that's the basic problem.
Thanks
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I only mention the dome light as the signal to turn on the light is the same signal that turns off the radio.

factory radio or aftermarket installation?
Old December 15th, 2013, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JF1957
OK, excuse me but it is a little hard to explain all what i'm being thru since that issue beging. Let me take it from the start, first i think that we should forget the dome light, for my tought it's working just fine, lite went door open and close after about ten second when door closing. Major problem is the radio/clock, it doesn't shut off when my daughter's living the car but when i try it, it work just fine (radio is playing until i open the door) so that's the basic problem.
Thanks
Did you just buy it?
*edit just read used car buy. ..

How long have you had it?
*see above

So It never turns off for your Daugher?

Does it kill the battery?
Old December 16th, 2013, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

We've being having the car for 4 months now, everything is original on this car and yes its draining the battery after about 3 or 4 days (and its a new battery). Here's some test that i made already;
Connect an ampmeter betwen the battery and read some draining amp.
1-dome light + radio + clock = 2 amp
2-dome light + clock = 1.3 amp
3-clock only = .83 amp
4-everything off = .013amp
5-replace the door switch

Has i explain at my last post the dome light seems to work as it should, it lite on by opening the door and fade off after about 10 seconds when closing the door.
Now the radio didn't act this way, when i'm in the running car and stop the engine with the radio playing, it stop when i open the door. Dome light lite up and radio stop so when i close the door only the dome light is on fading like it should after 10 seconds.
Now when my daughter being doing the same thing the radio didn't stop when she open the door, dome light working good. So, to prevend a draining battery she shut off the radio before opening the door but the clock stays on like if you shut off the radio with the car running. That small draining mentioned upper .83amp is just enought to drain the battery after 3/4 days.
Me and my daughter have being trying this fact at several time and its always the same, that's why i was wandering if it there a weight sensor underneath the seat, mention that she is a lot more light weight than i am.
Old December 17th, 2013, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Car didn't start again this morning, boost the battery and roll the car in the garage. After looking under the seat for a kind of weight switch or something and there wasn't (that's the only logical think i could find to explain what the radio did) tech2 you were right. So i temporary give up, i install a switch to kill the radio power from the fuse. From now i will have more time to do research about this issue who's fascinated me, remember everythings working normaly when being operated by me or my wife but didn't with my daugher.

Thank to all of you who try to help me.

Best regards and merry Christmas

Quick Reply: Please tell me i'm not a fool