Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Please tell me i'm not a fool

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2013, 3:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Maybe its the way your daughter is turning the key off?
Make sure the key is being turned all the way off when being removed, a worn ignition switch could be the issue....
Old December 17th, 2013, 8:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Make sure the key is being turned all the way off when being removed, a worn ignition switch could be the issue....

Good call. I could remove a worn out key in my 87 z24 at any time.
Old December 17th, 2013, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Maybe but i'm septic just because we've being trying it several time (over 10 times) one after another and it always the same. That the reason of my post title.
Old January 13th, 2014, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

I read this post and thought it was very interesting what is happening?...Ok no disrespect but I'm a girl and did you watch your daughter turn this stuff off or did you just figure out the battery was dead the next time she went out to start the car?...Because I've killed my battery before on accident or forget to shut the lights off or the dome light off and the radio usually goes off on its own. So I think Your daughter is just forgetting to do one of these things. "It Happens" and is to embarrassed to tell you, "Hey dad I killed my battery again by leaving the lights on." Or something. Sometimes I didn't want to admit I either, so I think you should find that out instead of wasting time looking for other problems that might not b there. BUT if i'm wrong, no disrespect this is a weird thing to happen. You might just have a weak battery that needs changed or the alternator isn't charging it right, meaning the alternator might be going bad.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Also I used to have a 2003 Cavalier and something like that happened to my car, about every 2 or 3 days I would have to be jumped by someone because it led to going out and it being a 50/50 chance that it would start I didn't have the money to take it in and get it looked at so I just kept a pair of jumper cables with me and prayed someone would jump me if I was somewhere and this happened or at home. Eventually it got to the point where jumping it wouldn't work so I went out and bought a new battery and it started right up no problem, I wound up getting rid of the car before anything else went wrong but I'm guessing the battery just had a bad cell or something, and because I'm a girl other people just assumed I didn't know what I was talking about, (that the battery was bad) and eventually just had to be changed they do go bad some quicker than others. Hopefully my posts help
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

I finally decided to get an eye on that issue again, remember first time i look at it was in winter and it was very cold to look at. At that time i have decided to but a switch on the radio/dome light circuit so my daughter just have to put the switch off while living the car. So as i said before today is a very nice day and decided to make some new research of that issue. Issue was resolved in 2 minutes, after several time trying it myself and always realising that is was working just fine at everytime i ask my daughter to seat at the driver position and stop the car as usual with me on the right seat "EUREKA" she was turning the key all the way left on the "acc" position. In my memory of those years car the key should not come out at that position, that's why i whas so confuse. Anyway everybody is happy now and i want to thank all of you (some of you were right) who help me.
Best regards JF
Old July 24th, 2014, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

I finally decided to get an eye on that issue again, remember first time i look at it was in winter and it was very cold to look at. At that time i have decided to but a switch on the radio/dome light circuit so my daughter just have to put the switch off while living the car. So as i said before today is a very nice day and decided to make some new research of that issue. Issue was resolved in 2 minutes, after several time trying it myself and always realising that is was working just fine at everytime i ask my daughter to seat at the driver position and stop the car as usual with me on the right seat "EUREKA" she was turning the key all the way left on the "acc" position. In my memory of those years car the key should not come out at that position, that's why i whas so confuse. Anyway everybody is happy now and i want to thank all of you (some of you were right) who help me.
Best regards JF