Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Po496

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2014, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Po496

2004 Cavalier 2.2, once summer hit I started to get the PO496 code. It usually comes on instantly on start up on a warm day. It was strange in the spring if it was a colder day it would not come back on after cleared, only on warmer days. When the engine light is on the car smells like fuel. So far I have cleaned the purge solenoid with sea foam, but I don't think it helped any. And I have cleaned the gas cap today. Should I replace the purge solenoid and are they expensive? Or should I be looking for something else. Thanks!

One other issue I have noticed is that the car shakes a lot when in reverse (its an auto), is this normal. Everything seems to work and shift fine it just shakes.
Old July 1st, 2014, 4:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

this dtc will set when there is unwanted vacuum detected in the fuel tank. This is most likely caused by a faulty purge solenoid that does not seal. typically, this can also cause hard starts after fuel fill-ups.

remove the vent line from the purge solenoid. blow into the solenoid. You should not be able to blow through it. If you can, replace it.
Old July 1st, 2014, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thanks, I never tried that when I had it apart.