Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Possible converter trouble brewing?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2013, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible converter trouble brewing?

2003 Cavalier 4door 2.2L Auto trans without a dipstick. 135k Miles.

My torque converter lockup is loose feeling. It will often not completely lock when it is supposed to. I can get up to 50-60mph before it completely locks and then it slams in. It also has a wobble at startup as if the converter is out of balance. Shifting out of park stops this. I am thinking there is a bearing or seal going bad in it.

It never stalls and all the shifts are fine. Fluid is clean. Everything else works perfectly.

Last edited by PatThePoltergeist; January 18th, 2014 at 8:48 PM.
Old January 18th, 2014, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

This issue is getting worse. The temp change seems to cause it to be magnified. I really want to know if running this thing is going to permanently damage my trans.

It is throwing no codes and has no other problems. Anybody have anything to add?
Old January 27th, 2014, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '03 Cavalier 4-door 2.2 L auto ... it developed the same issue, no wobble though. Methinks your wobble may be not transmission related. However, I never figured out the cause of erratic locking. I checked/added oil, no change. After having this issue for 60k this Cavalier was totaled by a texting pickup truck driver ...
And no, I do not think there is a bearing or seal going bad, nor think I it is going to damage your transmission.
You may try and change oil and filter, do not flush!
Old January 27th, 2014, 7:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

tcc operation for this car cycles the tcc during initial apply then fully locks it up. Same for release. the purpose is for smoother apply and release.

yeah it could be a trans problem but you'll be into a teardown to find out... so you better get someone knowledgeable to test drive it before ripping it out. Nothing worse that do all that work for the wrong diagnosis. torque convertor shudder feels like a very harsh jolt...like a misfire but 20X worse.

Last edited by tech2; January 27th, 2014 at 8:04 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2003 cavalier shakes and stalls at idle

I have a 2003 cavalier, the car would shakes and stall and have no power. I changed the timing chain, cataletic converter, plugs and coil pack. Since i changed the timing chain it seems to sound better when at high RPm but when you let off the gas it goes down to idle shakes and the dies. when trying to start it agian does not start right away.