Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Pro Cavalier Rant

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2014, 6:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pro Cavalier Rant

We have had several Cavaliers, 2003 4-door (was totaled by a texting pickup truck driver), 2004 2-door (was crashed by my Wife and I decided repair is not feasible, I keep it for parts).
When our 2003 Cavalier was killed I went shopping for a new [better?] car. After a full day of visiting used car yards and dealers I found nobody is really selling small pre-owned fuel-efficient cars. I was offered great deals on SUV's and pickup trucks. But no small cars. I do not have personality problems, thus I will not buy trucks or SUV's. Finally, when I was really tired of all that shopping I found a Nissan Versa 2012 with 12k miles on it for $14k and I bought it on spot.
Alright, it is a great little car. As a matter of fact, I have never had so roomy small car before. I'm 6'2" and when the drivers seat is pushed all the way back there is still plenty of room for a tall person on the back seat! It has 1.8 L 122 HP engine and it has enough power to run on cruise control in Rockies doing 75 MPH (took a road trip to Vegas).
Now, when our 2004 car retired (Wife!) shortly after the first one I felt I do not want to buy another low mileage car. I take very good care of my cars, this 2004 was in great condition before Wife hit a concrete pole. So I figured I'll get a cheap Cavalier and use the crashed one as a donor of parts.
I found one on Craigslist for $1200. I did not care about mechanical condition, I just bought it because the body was in good condition.
Well, I started driving it ... and it beats that Versa any time!
Better comfort - better suspension.
Better MPG (34 Versa - 35+ Cavalier).
Better dynamics - acceleration.

Alright, don't get me wrong, I do have a Jaguar sports car for fun, what I'm talking about here is a car for commute. Methinks you just can't beat Cavalier!

Edit: I've put over 2000 miles on it by now. The oil level is not dropping, everything works, even AC.

Last edited by Segfault; January 12th, 2014 at 6:49 PM.
Old January 12th, 2014, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I would have to agree. the 03-05 ecotec cavaliers were/fantastic. Parts are cheap, fuel mileage great and they are very reliable. My only complaint is the very uncomfortable seats.

Swap a eaton supercharger onto the ecotec and it goes like stink.

check out jbody.org or clubcav.com for great cav info.