Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems!!!!!

I just put a new engine in my 98 cavalier. This makes the 3rd engine I've put in this car. Well the other two times I did this, I left the tranny in the car but this time I pulled it too. So I got it all put back together and when I go to start it, I push in the clutch and turn the key and I'm getting NOTHING at all. Not a click, a sound or anything. All my dash lights come on when I trun the ignition on but when I go to turn it to start the car I'm not getting squat!!! Any ideas???????
Old February 27th, 2013, 5:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your clutch pedal position switch. If its out of adjustment or bad you won't be able to start it. Safety feature so the car won't jump forward if you try to start it in gear.
Old February 28th, 2013, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Ok. If it is bad I won't get anything out of it? I'm not getting a tick or anything that sounds like it wants to start. It's just dead but all my dash lights come on when I turn the key on.
Old February 28th, 2013, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to start with the basics. Get a test light and find out what is missing from the starter. Hook the test light to positive on the battery. Touch the starter body, does the light light? Move the test light to the ground on the battery, touch the big wire on the starter does the test light light? Now have someone try to start it while touching the little wire on the starter the test light should light every time the key is turned to crank. You are going to have to trouble shoot this yourself as this is likely caused by something you did. No one is going to be able to say this was my problem when it happened to me.
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys! I figured it out. There are two wires with fuseable links on them that go on the same post as the positive lead from the battery. Then the little red one goes on the little post and the little black wire grounds to the starter. I appreciate the help!!!!