Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Rear Defrost Not Working HELP

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2006, 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Defrost Not Working HELP

I have a Cavi its a 2004 Standrad 2.2L Regular (I say regular because it has no extra badging on the back and has no ac)

I just had my windows tinted and the rear deforst was working fine before now they dont. I had checked the fuse it was fine and the defrost lines that go across the window they are all fine, the rear defrost light comes on normal as it did before and then auto matically shuts off after 10 mins then 3 mins there on after that (I think thats how it goes) I checked the rear defrost clips and saw no damage I removed and reinsterted them and it worked great one time after awhile then stopped and havent been able to get it to run again(melt ice or defog). Maybe there is some dielectric grease im supposed to put on the clips or something? Called the tint guy and he said that was not normal for the defrost to fail, I will go to him if I am totally unable to find help here! Please help!!!!
Old December 16th, 2006, 8:57 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Rear Defrost Not Working HELP

if u have a volt meter check to see if you have power at the back window
Old December 17th, 2006, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

Ill try that

anyone else have tips?
Old December 18th, 2006, 1:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Also with the multimeter on the OHMS setting... disconnect the wiring to the " clips " and check for continuity through the filaments.

I suspect there is an intermittent break in the filaments or where they end at the " clips. The filaments are very fragile.
Old December 18th, 2006, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Excellent, I will try this when I reach home. I suppose no one else has ever encountered this problem?!?

Thanks golfer
Old December 18th, 2006, 6:49 PM
CF Active Member

actually the filaments are wired in parallel so if one breaks the rest will work

also i went out this morning and mine doesnt work
the light above the button does not work
i am gonna look at it tomorrow after work

good luck
Old December 18th, 2006, 7:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is it differant in operation since you had the windows tinted? It sounds like it is working properly to me?

I just re-read your post, the operation of the light sounds normal but I assume you have no de-fogging taking place. Verify that you have voltage across the grid and that your ground is good.
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

I apoli.if I was unclear, the operation is not different with the tint but its the only factor that was induced to to possibly cause the defrost to stop from melting ice. What I am saying everything seems normal, I have checked all other factors its just the connection of the clips I would assume is causing the defrost to mal-perform.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

If I could continue in the same subject of rear defogger. I assume Thenaes, you found a resolution to your issue.

I have a 2002 Cav. and the rear defogr. stopped working over time. With wintern now here, I finally decided to check it out. Only measured 3 VDC across the back window. I thought the relay wasn't working, so I got a new rear defogger relay at the parts store. Then I found a post about checking the wiring harness connector at the bottom of the left A-pilar, by the drivers feet. That was y problem. The two power leads had burned the bastic connector and were not making good contact. With that fixed, the defogr. is now working.
But, does anyone know where the relay is located. I can't find it anywhere, and don't have a wiring diagram. As ith most electircal parts, I can't return the relay, so I'd like to install it, even though it was not the cause of my problem.

thanks,
Stan