Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

someone help me

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone help me

Hi i have a 1998 z24 cavalier. Now its not running.. it has power, fuel, has spark, compression and air.. it will not start or turn over. It had a problem of flooding the engine so i got a new regulator. Ive tried almost everything.. does anyone have any idea on what could be the problem?! Id really not like to take it to a garage..
Old August 4th, 2013, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if it doesn't crank over; do you hear a single click of the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position? Any theft deterrant lights on?
Old August 16th, 2013, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default check starter!!

Well..... if it doesn't crank you have to start with the starter.... make sure you have a full charged battery and try to start the car if the lights on the dash turn on but no starter response, you have to make sure you are getting power to the starter and power to the solenoid when trying to start it. you are gonna need a test light and make sure you check the basics like fuses, relay and fusible links. I have seen battery cables that have too much resistance internally and an easy way to find out if you have one is taking a regular jumper cable and attache directly to the starter from the battery this way you bypass the main factory cable that sometimes have corrosion internally and you just cant see it. I highly dout the Theft system is causing a no start condition in this case since the theft system disables the fuel supply you can crank all day and it will not start. I attached a diagram that I found on goolge it is not car specific but all starting systems are pretty generic you have to have battery power and ground is thru the starter body. good luck and post if you found out the problem.

It wouldnt hurt to remove all spark plugs and drive belt to move the crank pulley manually. A frien of mine had a Buik century that the ac compressor locked up and the engine would not turn. We found that later when he was ready to swap the engine and ended up just being a compressor, just move all pulleys and make sure that nothing is keeping the engine from turning that includes the torque converter on the transmission side, but I would start with the starter is probablily time for a new starter motor.
Attached Thumbnails someone help me-starter.jpg  
Old August 17th, 2013, 6:09 AM
CF Beginner

Well we checked for all that and it all has spark. We found that someone put something in my gas tank but since we emptied the tank and got it tk run for a few seconds but it still has an issue.. Im guessing there is still **** in the tank because my drunk mechanic of a neighbour hooked it up to diagnostics and no codes came up.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did you change the pick up sock on the fuel pump and the fuel filter?