Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Starting problems 99 chevy cav

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2016, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems 99 chevy cav

Hello.my name is Mike.I have a 99 cavilar 2.2 l .I bought about a week ago.ran fine expected it would crank for 8 seconds and then turn over.had good power and idle was good.so I changes plugs n words thinking that would fix starting problem.it did not.sometimes it would start like normal and other times it would delay.I pulled intake off n in getting pulses from injectors.then I took car for about a 100 Mike drive to pick wife n kids up using cruise doing about 70 mph and the car just died 20 miles from home.pulled over and the abs check engein and anti theft lights were on.I tried to turn back on about 3 times and the battery was dead.so I assumed it was alternated.so my mom brought me an alternated and a cop stopped n took wife n kids home and I changed it out on the highway.jumped it with my moms car n nothing.so I left it and went back in morning.I brought my truck a new battery and a fuel pump relay.jumped it with my truck and it just keep cranking so I towed it home.when I got home I noticed the fuel pump not running.so I'm not getting has.could this be an electrical problem.I pulled the battery out and cleaned the terminals and the one going to the fuse box under good.now when I connect the battery there is a buzzing humming sound coming from the passenger side front seat seems like from the blower motor.but could the alternated and duel pump go out at the same time?this is why I'm thinking it's electrical.please any help would be great ..
Old March 30th, 2016, 2:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

From what you said it sounds like the fuel pump went bad. Do a fuel pressure check. The battery is probably going dead from all the cranking to get it started. Get it running first and then check the electrical system.
Old March 30th, 2016, 5:42 AM
CF Beginner

Ok.I need to order a fuel pump.but I did take battery out to clean terminals and also cleaned the wife going from the battery to the Underwood fuse box.now when I connect the battery there is a duzzing humming noise coming from what sounds like the blower motor in pass front it even happens when the key is off and out and it stops when the key is in the on position any ideas
Thanks for the help!
Old March 30th, 2016, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Was out messing with car again.and everytime I put key to on position the battery would slowly drain.then I went to fuse box and put test light on fuel pump relay terminal and I have no power to any of the four ports where the relay is out.even when the key is in on postion.any ideas.I think this is a electric problem.please help
Old March 31st, 2016, 7:36 PM
cj1
CF Junior Member

Take a look at bbbind.com for an electrical diagram of fuel circuits.