Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Steering Issue.. help?

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2013, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issue.. help?

Hi guys. I have a 2000 Cavalier 2.2L 4 door and I'm having trouble finding out what's wrong with the front end. Say if I'm pulling out of my driveway, and I turn my wheel all the way to the right, then going down the road straight it pulls to the right. Say if I'm pulling out and I turn my wheel all the way to the left, going down the road it pulls to the left. I can't seem to figure out what's going on, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Any help is appreciated!
Old November 5th, 2013, 6:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I've never heard of that before. But given that you pull to the direction in which you turn in I'd be thinking that the steering rack mount bolts are loose. It's the only thing that would kind of make sense to me because the torque load that is exhibited on the rack during a dead stop steering maneuver would cause the rack to shift a little bit. I'd also check torque on cradle bolts to while you are at it. Otherwise that's a tough one. I'm curious what you'll find
Old November 5th, 2013, 6:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you have memory steer. the problems is most likely worn front upper strut bearings.

my 05 cav did the same thing along with a "boing" groan noise. I could feel the binding by holding the coil spring while someone turned the wheel. When I got them apart, there was no bearing or races left...just rust coloured dust.

unless you have a spring compressor...and you want to do it your self...get quick struts.
Old November 6th, 2013, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you have memory steer. the problems is most likely worn front upper strut bearings.

my 05 cav did the same thing along with a "boing" groan noise. I could feel the binding by holding the coil spring while someone turned the wheel. When I got them apart, there was no bearing or races left...just rust coloured dust.

unless you have a spring compressor...and you want to do it your self...get quick struts.
Yeah this sounds exactly like my problem. When I turn my wheel, no matter which way, I do get a "boing" groan noise. This is most likely what it is because my uncle said he looked at it today and the struts moves, something like that. I'll let you guys know what I find out when we work on it, not sure when that will be done.. been sinking money into this car since the day we got it.
Old November 6th, 2013, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Well, we took the tires off and jacked it up and turned the wheel back and forth, the sound is coming from the top of the strut.. barrings are most likely gone. Buying two used struts and will let you guys know if that was the problem when I get it done. Not sure how long it will be but I'll reply back here to let you guys know if that was it.
Old November 6th, 2013, 7:00 PM
Super Moderator

the used strut upper bearings; if original could be just as bad as the ones your taking out.
Old November 7th, 2013, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah we decided to go new, even though it was really expensive. Putting them in tomorrow.
Old November 7th, 2013, 9:18 PM
Super Moderator

smart.
Old November 8th, 2013, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Well, just to let you guys know, it was indeed both front struts making the noise and causing my problem. Thanks for the suggestions and help folks!
Old November 8th, 2013, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator

good to hear.

lots of great cav information at clubcav.com and jbody.org