Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

strut spring seat

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut spring seat

I have continual problems with this noise in my cavalier from the front drivers strut area. dida little research to find there are many bulletins about this suspension noise. Seems to point at the strut spring seat. Noise only comes when hitting bumps (even slight ones) and car must be moving. I can not duplicate noise just by pushing up and down on front end. Has anyone replaced these spring seats. i guess it's on the top of the strut where you can't see. the noise sounds like rattling along with squeaking and comes from quick sudden jolts to the suspension. almost sounds like metal clunking at times and definately coming from the firewall area of drivers side from inside the car. i would imagine you must remove the strut assembly to get to this part. Must you compress the spring when taking this off. I don't think you have to take the spring off the strut, just the assembly which is already contained in the spring. any help on this issue would be great. will i need a front end alignment when i put the assembly back on?
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: strut spring seat

forgot to mention as well that i can not duplicate noise by turning wheels left or right either so it's not the strut bearing mount i don't think. also 55,000 miles and original struts. car rides good, struts seem good yet.