Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

TC light stays on

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2014, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC light stays on

I have a 2002 cavalier (auto) and rhe "TC" light stays on continuously for the past couple of weeks, whereas it never has been on before. At about this time, my wife became stuck in a snow drift, and God only knows how much spinning she did to finally get it out, but I have to think that this incident is related to the TC light staying on. We took the car into our local mechanic, and he did not seem too concerned with the light being on; in fact he said we could just ignore it. As I know nothing about this, can anyone offer any input, such as if I could possibly damage something by driving the car with this light permanently on? I got the impression that our mechanic didn't know what to do about the light. Anyone?

Thanks,
Glen

PS: We do not notice any difference while driving the car. (other than seeing the TC light, that is)
Old January 16th, 2014, 8:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you will have normal service brake operation but not traction control or abs braking. These 2 systems will be disabled.

you probably have a bad wheel speed sensor. Only concern would be if the hub/bearing assembly is bad as this is a safety issue. the reluctor for the speed sensor is part of the hub. When the bearing go it affects the speed sensor and sets the light on the dash
Old January 17th, 2014, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tech2, I will get someone to look into this, next time I get to civilization. (I am on remote little island off the north coast of Newfoundland) There is simply no one near us to fix the car, so I'm hoping it will not prevent me from driving it in the meantime.
Thanks again,
Glen
Old January 17th, 2014, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ah-ha...from the rock! I'll drive out to check it and you can screech me in!

Last edited by tech2; January 17th, 2014 at 8:14 PM.