Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Timing chain issue

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain issue

Hello all,
First of like to say I've been a proud GM/Chevy owner for several years.

Recently my 2004 cavalier decided not to start back up after filling up the gas tank. The engine would turn over, fuel pump would activate etc, but no ignition. After having it towed to a shop, it appears I have a jumped or damaged timing chain, which may have resulted in catastrophic damage to the fuel valves and pistons inside the cylinders. I've read in various places the repair costs could be partially or completely covered by the manufacturer as this component is intended to survive the lifetime of the car and therefore has no preventive maintenance; is this true?

I know I am well outside the original warranty, but it seems that there may be some responsibility by the manufacturer in this instance? I only ask because it would basically cost the value of the vehicle to complete the required repairs.

Thank you!
Nic
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

The $64 question is what defines "the lifetime of the car"? Preventative maintenance includes proper oil changes & tune ups, but that doesn't mean the timing chain and related components will last forever. One could argue this failure means you have made it to the end of the car's life!
What's your mileage and how long have you owned the car?
Old June 23rd, 2015, 11:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't see any reason why GM would cover the repair costs of an 11 year old car.

I know that Chrysler did offer lifetime powertrain warranty to original owners back in 2009 when they were hurting for business but not Chevy back in 2004.

If I understand correctly, it's not too hard to get to the timing chain on the 2.2L engine. Before that's done, however, a compression test should be completed on each cylinder. If compression is good, I doubt you did any damage to the valves and pistons. If the timing chain has jumped, I'd have it replaced along with the gears and tensioner.