Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Timing Issue, I think!!

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2014, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Timing Issue, I think!!

I have an 05 Cavalier, the Echo 2.2. My car decided to not start one day. I changed the battery, for the hell of it, and still no start. The starter and alternator are fine. I have spark (just changed the plugs, coil pack, and ICM last year). I have fuel pressure. Injectors are working fine. So I decided to check timing. So I pulled the top off and exposed the top two pulleys and the top part of the chain. The chain was tight. I found this to be odd, as I can't find what is wrong with my car. So I decided to bump it anyways. About half way through the rotation, I found a loose spot in the chain. And it is loose! But why is it not in the entire chain? To my understanding the chain should be tight all the way through. The chain looks fine and so do the top two pulleys. Of course it is an arm and a leg to see the entire assembly to see if there are any other problems or to just change the tensioner. I'm wondering if there an easy way to get to this assembly I am not seeing? And would bad timing keep the car form starting? It was showing no codes prior to this.