Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

URGENT!! 2004 Cavalier started running really rough out of the blue...

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2016, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT!! 2004 Cavalier started running really rough out of the blue...

URGENT PLEASE!!

Today my 2004 Cavalier started idoling and running really rough out of the blue...I mean really rough like SHAKING ROUGH and felt like it was going to die, but it didn't.

I drove it home like this as I was less than a mile from home.

I thought I smelled rubber burning just for about 30 seconds but then it went away...

No CHECK ENGINE or any other lights are on. I thought I smelled rubber burning just for about 30 seconds then it went away...

Car ran like a top before this and only has 56,000 original miles.

I'm a woman and I don't want to be ripped off at the mechanics--

If anyone can PLEASE give me some ideas about what could be I would be so grateful!

Can you also please include what would be a fair shop repair price also?

Thanks so much in advance,

D
Old September 28th, 2016, 5:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

It idled rough but ran ok off idle?
Does it start normal?

If you take it to a shop; authorize 1 hour diagnosis time. If they cannot find the cause in that time, take it to a shop that can. Labour rates per hour can vary from anywhere to $80 to $140 per hour. After diagnosis, they will report the cause of the fault and the cost of parts and the additional labour time to complete the repair.
Old September 28th, 2016, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for reply---- it happened when car was warmed up sitting in park at a pharmacy drive up window out of the blue it started shaking and idling SUPER rough and I barely made it home ---and this morning I started it up and NOTHING its running fine and fired right up...

There are no dashboard lights on and no smoke from tailpipe and no smells-- really weird cause it was shaking and idling so rough yesterday...

Any ideas what this could be in 2004 Cavalier with 56,000 original miles and no issues ever?
Old September 28th, 2016, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for reply---- it happened when car was warmed up sitting in park at a pharmacy drive up window out of the blue it started shaking and idling SUPER rough and I barely made it home ---and this morning I started it up and NOTHING its running fine and fired right up...

There are no dashboard lights on and no smoke from tailpipe and no smells-- really weird cause it was shaking and idling so rough yesterday...

Any ideas what this could be in 2004 Cavalier with 56,000 original miles and no issues ever?
Old September 29th, 2016, 2:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Have you changed where you buy gas? It could have gotten a shot of water or crap through it.
Old September 30th, 2016, 5:29 AM
Super Moderator

sounds like it was misfiring. This should set a dtc.

If it continues to occur when the car is warmed up and the engine is hot; have a shop check for a bad ignition module. The fault must be present when the testing occurs.

the modules/igntion coils get hot and the circuit opens. Later when they cool down, they work normally as the circuit closes.
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks tech2-- You're Spot ON!! It WAS a bad ignition coil pack-- they replaced the whole ignition coil pack and 4 spark plugs---Thanks!

Now another question please... How much time should this take to replace and how much should this have cost me?

Already had the work done, but I want to see if they ripped me off or not...

Thanks so much!
Old September 30th, 2016, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator

search rockauto.com for parts prices

mitchell labour times are:
-1 hour diagnosis
-1 hour spark plug replacement
- 0.4 hours for ignition module/coil replacement