Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Valve adjustment

Old April 19th, 2010, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve adjustment

I have a 98 Cavalier with a 2200 OHV engine that I am working on and I can't find anything on the valve adjustment. Can anyone give me some help. I don't even get anything when I search the forums.
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think valves are supposed to be adjusted on those engines. Generally they are only adjusted on engines with solid lifters. Hydraulic lifters, when an adjustment screw is on the rocker arm should merely be put in the center of the lifters range which is about a turn after they stop chattering. Most overhead cam engines with hydraulics aren't adjusted. When hydraulics on OHV engines are adjusted it is done with the engine running, back the adjustment off until it clicks then turn until it stops clicking and give it one more turn slowly a fourth turn at a time. At least that's how we do it on Chevy V8 engines. Do it as quick as you can because they usually lose oil running the engine with the valve cover off.

Last edited by a. palmer jr.; April 24th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.