Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Warms up chatters and stalls, won't start

Old May 4th, 2014, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warms up chatters and stalls, won't start

Hey All,
I've got a 1999 cavalier, 2.2 l. Lately it runs fine for about 10 minutes then develops a chattering noise, and dies out when slowing down. It will not turn over when this happens. About 10 to 15 minutes later will start back up, and repeat the process.

My first though is the TCC solenoid, but I'm having a problem T/S with a disconnect since the solenoid is buried within the transmission side panel and the only wiring I've found going into the tranny is to a large (3 or 4 inches square) black box that also has the shift cable attached to it. If I unplug that my thinking is I will lose all the shift solenoids and not just for the TCC.

Tried to use my Haynes manual to find out which wire to isolate, according to it since my tranny is a four speed (Drive and 1,2,3) it should be a brown wire. Cut it temporarily and test drove, no effect on the issue.

First am I hunting down the right rabbit trail?

Second, any way to isolate the TCC solenoid without pulling the side cover of the tranny and all that entails?

Thanks for the help.