Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Weird no start issue

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2015, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird no start issue

2003 Cavalier 2.2 ecotec motor

So first post and asking for help with a no start issue with a weird to me symptom.

Car was running fine Wednesday night. Woke up Thursday with a half tank of gas exactly. Left my house and made it two
blocks when the car sputtered lost all power and died. As im coasting to a stop i look down at the gauges and notice my
gas gauge is reading empty.

Multiple attempts to restart end with easy and strong cranking but no "kicking over sounds"

Gas gauge continues to show empty. After popping the hood and checking every where in on and under the car and finding no signs of a fuel leak i accept the
fact im crazy and walked to get gas. 5 gallons of gas and a 20 block walk later. The car still wont start. I AM POSITIVE I LEFT THE HOUSE WITH A HALF TANK.

I am by no means a actual mechanic so in my head i know an engine needs air fuel spark to run so i test the first two. Starter fluid and throttle body cleaning.
After insuring the mechanics of the throttle body are functioning i attempted to use starter fluid and no change in behavior. A little google searching later i went
out and replaced the ignition module and coil packs. Still no change in behavior. During my attempts i also notice the fuel pump relay located in the block near
the air filter housing is engaging and disengaging rapidly even when attempting to crank.

I have a buddy at an auto part store that is letting me return the parts i end up not needing but i really cant afford a mechanic at this point. Anyone have
any ideas on where to move onto next?

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by JdotGriff; June 13th, 2015 at 2:16 PM.
Old June 13th, 2015, 4:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

When you put the 5 gallons in did the gauge go up?
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
When you put the 5 gallons in did the gauge go up?

No it did not.

All though the gauge responds with the key on by a quick drop below and then a level out at empty the gauge still reads empty.

Also swapped the buzzing fuel pump relay with the one next to it and the buzzing stayed at the fuel pump relay spot and made no difference when attempting to start.

Last edited by JdotGriff; June 14th, 2015 at 11:05 AM.