Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

weirdest leak ever

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2014, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weirdest leak ever

I just bought my daughters 05 cavalier after she purchased a new car, I am new to these forums but not new to cars. I have never seen this before.

I backed the car into the drive way to do some maintenance to it (the vehicle is facing 5-10 degrees down hill at this point) and noticed some fluid under the car, I thought is was condensation from the a/c. after several minutes the pool was larger and I checked it out. it was antifreeze. so I checked all over for leaks and could not visibly see anything except that is was dripping from behind the motor somewhere.

I filled the coolant level back up and move the car to a level spot. after two days there is no coolant missing and nothing on the ground.

So I pulled the car into the driveway today and left it facing up hill and again after all day there is no coolant missing or any on the ground.

I am very confused by this why the car only leaked when facing down hill, anyone ever have a leak like this before?

thanks

Mike
Old September 6th, 2014, 3:25 AM
CF Beginner

after a little more research it looks like there is a weep hole in the water pump and when that leaks the seal is shot and it's time for a new pump.

strange that I have almost 100 views on this thread and no answers.

guess I'll need to find a different cavalier forum.
Old September 16th, 2014, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

I just joined this forum and read your post. I was going to mention the water pump weep hole, but looks like you figured it out. Hopefully the water pump is something easily changed on Cavaliers.

Good luck