Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

wont start

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start

My low beams and high beams have not worked for a while. When I would start the car the low beams would flash on and off 5 times in a pattern then wouldn't come back on. I have replaced the fuses and DRL relay and still no lights. I checked the switch cluster on the steering column and seen a burn spot on one of the connectors and a loose splice. I didn't have enough room to repair the wire so I had to unplug everything from the steering column to pull the wires below where the brake pedal is to repair the wire. After I repaired the wire and feed the wires back to the steering column and plugged all the connectors back in now my car wont start at all. no lights to the dash, no radio, no noise, no turn over, nothing. I don't know what to do now. all I did was unplug the connectors so I could work on the headlight switch wire and now it wont start. I have replaced the ignition switch thinking that was the problem and still nothing. Any ideas? I do not have the money to get it repaired. me and my wife both work and Im considering hotwiring my own car out of desperation but have never done it and worried it may damage the car.
Old November 5th, 2013, 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check main fuses of course and go back to where you were working at. Something there has to be unplugged still or connected to wrong connector. Check and make sure when unplugging connectors you didn't accidentally pull a wire out of its connector. It has to be in area where you performed work. Go over all basics first of course. Battery positive cable and ground tight. Fuses good. If you have a multi meter or a test light that would be helpful
Old November 5th, 2013, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what model year