Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

z24 won't start

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2014, 4:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z24 won't start

On Monday I drove my 97 z24 to work and it ran fine on Tuesday morning I got in it to go home and the car wouldn't start, I have dash, interior lights and head lights but car just cranks over and all goes dead as far as lights go, I have a brand new battery that was put in last month. When the car sounds like it wants to start it turns over real slow but does nothing I am completely stumped on what could be wrong.

Anyone with any ideas what this could be?
Old January 5th, 2014, 1:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wis2ohio
On Monday I drove my 97 z24 to work and it ran fine on Tuesday morning I got in it to go home and the car wouldn't start, I have dash, interior lights and head lights but car just cranks over and all goes dead as far as lights go, I have a brand new battery that was put in last month. When the car sounds like it wants to start it turns over real slow but does nothing I am completely stumped on what could be wrong.

Anyone with any ideas what this could be?
What do the volts read on the battery?

Are you in a super cold climate at the moment? yeah Ohio would be pretty cold. Are the connections to the battery tight?

Are you sure your alternator is charging the battery?
Old January 5th, 2014, 2:01 PM
CF Junior Member

There is no voltage indicator on the dash so I'm guessing voltage is fine, its been cold temps in the mid teens some days, battery cables were tight Monday when I checked them. Not sure if alternator is charging battery however tried to jump it Monday and something wouldn't start
Old January 6th, 2014, 1:11 PM
CF Veteran

There is no voltage indicator on the dash so I'm guessing voltage is fine, its been cold temps in the mid teens some days, battery cables were tight Monday when I checked them. Not sure if alternator is charging battery however tried to jump it Monday and something wouldn't start
A voltmeter would tell you.

Craftsman Multimeter from Sears.com
Old January 6th, 2014, 1:12 PM
CF Veteran

The starter is going bad?

Can you get that tested?
Old January 6th, 2014, 3:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I am going to take the battery in tomorrow and see what the volts are the guys at Auto Zone think it might be the alternator that went bad. If battery is good they have other ideas of what it might be.
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

So I have tried to start my car since it has gotten above 40 today and it acts like it want's to start but still won't. I have the battery out and will have it checked tomorrow at the auto store however I checked the oil and it is very watery and has a strange smell to it kinda like WD-40.

Anyone know what that smell would be or why the oil would be so watered down when I just had an oil change less then 200 miles ago?
Old January 11th, 2014, 7:29 PM
CF Veteran

So I have tried to start my car since it has gotten above 40 today and it acts like it want's to start but still won't. I have the battery out and will have it checked tomorrow at the auto store however I checked the oil and it is very watery and has a strange smell to it kinda like WD-40.

Anyone know what that smell would be or why the oil would be so watered down when I just had an oil change less then 200 miles ago?
Can you post some pictures?

Do you see any caking in there?
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:57 AM
CF Junior Member

I can try and post a pic not sure how well it will show up..

Battery tested at Auto Zone today battery is dead but in good condition. It's getting charged as I type this then going to hook it back up and hopefully drive it to the auto store so they can check the alternator to see if it's charging the battery.