Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

1969 GM A Body Pro Touring

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 GM A Body Pro Touring

I represent a Corvette restoration and performance shop. We got this old GTO and have spent some time with it. And 90% of this car was built in house. It only went out for paint and upholstery. I know it is a Pontiac but it is still a gm a body and the same as a chevelle, And I am a chevy guy and this was built with a chevy engine so I am sharing it here. Look at this beauty built by the experts at Corvette Performance Expert

Name:  16_18.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  111.0 KB
Name:  7_25.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  143.3 KB
Name:  199.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  183.4 KB
Name:  5_42.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  120.8 KB
Name:  12_21.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  115.0 KB
Name:  33_8.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  108.4 KB

I have detailed the building of this incredible machine here:
New Life For An LS6 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Last edited by autowiz; September 23rd, 2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old November 27th, 2016, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

At least you all tired to make the engine look kinda Pontiacish.. nice,what couldn't budget in a Butler Performance Pontiac engine?
​​​​​​​
Old November 28th, 2016, 3:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Any engine designs before LS are not worth building. Why is this? Well because the LS is the first generation of engines by todays better standards. Look at that old Pontiac V block with the crankshaft hanging below it. How strong can that be? even if it has 4 bolts on each main cap. This engine is a Y block and the crank is held up inside the block and it has 6 bolt cross bolted main caps. This crank isn't going anywhere.

But wait let's look at the cylinder heads. No not that they flow like nascar heads compared to older engine designs, but the head bolts. Older designs bolt the head directly to the top of the deck. Roght where all the load of the block is. It is sooooo much better to use really long head bolts and put the threads in the block all the way at the base of the cylinder. Now we get even clamping on the entire cylinder. not just at the top.

Let's look at camshafts. For the last few decades now we like to use larger cam cores with larger bearing surfaces but mainly larger diameter cam lobes that allow for more aggressive profiles without extr wear on the valvetrain.

And then there is the whole controller issue. Cam and crankshaft position sensors, distributorless ignition. intelligent knock detection and retard. etc. etc. etc.

Here at the end of 2016 I don't see how anybody could build with anything less.
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Wow.. all that?
You really a auto wizz?
Don't take much to buy bolt on store bought add ons. I simply never cease to be amazed by those who drink the LS coolaid. It's like taking the hotroding out of the mix. Sure the newer blocks and heads are designed better. We do things not cause their easy,but because their hard to do. Glad you probably have a warranty on your car.
​​​​​​​For what you spent you should. .
Old November 29th, 2016, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

nights and weekends yes I am the Automotive Wizzard. But during business hours I am the Corvette Expert. And you would be real wise to read carefully the things I type. I alone carry more a.s.e. certifications than most shops and have an entire career behind me of chasing performance. What made power tens of years ago is a sad joke by todays standards.