Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

85 silverado need help

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2016, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 silverado need help

Hello everyone, new here, and thanks for any and all help!
I have an 85 Silverado I just built a 350 for. I'm a pretty good mechanic, but this is something I've never seen. engine runs great, I just changed the oil for the first time the other day. had thicker break in oil in it. when I changed it to regular oil I started hearing a noise intermittently that sounds like the oil is being aerated. I pulled the oil cap, and it goes away. there is a lot of internal vacuum, I can set the oil cap back on top of the hole, and it will suck it down! never seen that! this is a 79 model 350 block, .30 over, standard pistons, stock Edelbrock cam, and a set of double hump heads, 194/202 valves. Intake is a Edelbrock Victor jr, air gap. (it has no vac ports) I guess my question is, anyone seen this? and should I change intake? thanks folks

Charlie
Old December 28th, 2016, 6:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Ray Perry
Hello everyone, new here, and thanks for any and all help!
I have an 85 Silverado I just built a 350 for. I'm a pretty good mechanic, but this is something I've never seen. engine runs great, I just changed the oil for the first time the other day. had thicker break in oil in it. when I changed it to regular oil I started hearing a noise intermittently that sounds like the oil is being aerated. I pulled the oil cap, and it goes away. there is a lot of internal vacuum, I can set the oil cap back on top of the hole, and it will suck it down! never seen that! this is a 79 model 350 block, .30 over, standard pistons, stock Edelbrock cam, and a set of double hump heads, 194/202 valves. Intake is a Edelbrock Victor jr, air gap. (it has no vac ports) I guess my question is, anyone seen this? and should I change intake? thanks folks

Charlie
Acts like you don't have a atmoshere air supply, in other words the opposite of a pcv, needs air as well as vacuum in the crankcase
Old December 29th, 2016, 6:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im thinking of trying a vented oil cap, i know it will help, but not sure if it will be enough thanks for the reply