Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

07 Cobalt Power Steering and security light issues

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2013, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this problem one morning. I let the car sit and warm up for a few minutes and the power steering started working but the transmission was shifting really rough. I just recently purchased the car and have a warranty and took it to a prreferred shop and the said it might be the computer but weren't sure. Im going to find somewhere else but any other info would help.
Old November 4th, 2013, 9:13 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

keithab,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your power steering. If you send me your VIN I can see if you have any special coverages associated.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Im having the same problem but its not correcting itself like before. And now if i try to put it in gear there is a ticking noise from the transmission. Also there is a light on the instrument panel that has a car with a lock lit up. Any ideas? My warranty company wants me to take it to a shop that's about 20 miles away. I don't think its safe to drive with out power steering. Oh and it takes a couple times for it to start. Any ideas?
Old June 11th, 2014, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy resolution?

Did anyone have any resolution with this issue? I tried to contact the dealership he said he had never heard of this issue (which I find funny seeing as how it is all over the internet including here.) AND I tried to chat with GM's customer service and they told me they had NO information on technical issues and that the dealerships are the only ones who could help me.

I have an 09 Chevy cobalt (I know lucky me right?) and for the first time this morning I had this issue. OF COURSE it is out of warranty by about 7,000 mi. (approx 67,000 miles) and I have NEVER had anything done to it aftermarket.

This car was the worst decision of my life. the seats are uncomfortable and it has been nothing but a constant problem/recall.

I am pregnant I cannot afford for this car to cause me a wreck.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old June 11th, 2014, 7:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi stephjeph,

I'm very sorry to hear of this. I have sent you a private message regarding your concern. I look forward to hearing back from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 1st, 2014, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

I'm absolutely convinced it's the power steering as all the electrical problems are resolved as soon as the power steering is unplugged. Sometimes you have to stop and start the car again before the transmission starts shifting correctly again, but everything else goes back to normal immediately.

I went to the dealer to schedule the power steering recall work the other day and described this problem and he said he'd never heard of it. (yeah right) I'm hoping that once the power steering is replaced that the problem will go away. For now, I just drive without power steering when the problem presents itself and plug it back in a day later to see if it's ok again.
Old July 1st, 2014, 3:26 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi vtoddball,

We are truly sorry to hear of this concern you are experiencing. Please keep us posted on the outcome. If the issue persists, we would be happy to help.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by vtoddball
I'm absolutely convinced it's the power steering as all the electrical problems are resolved as soon as the power steering is unplugged. Sometimes you have to stop and start the car again before the transmission starts shifting correctly again, but everything else goes back to normal immediately.

I went to the dealer to schedule the power steering recall work the other day and described this problem and he said he'd never heard of it. (yeah right) I'm hoping that once the power steering is replaced that the problem will go away. For now, I just drive without power steering when the problem presents itself and plug it back in a day later to see if it's ok again.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Cobalt 2007, power steering and low fuel warning.

Wondering if I should chance driving to work or if I should bring it in. My Chevy Cobalt 2007 gauges went hay wire and the warning read power steering and low fuel. I was able to get home but not sure what kind of issues are to follow. I read all over this forum of others having issues like this. Sounded like they just kept driving with it like that. By doing this is it causing further damage?
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mistymoment
Wondering if I should chance driving to work or if I should bring it in. My Chevy Cobalt 2007 gauges went hay wire and the warning read power steering and low fuel. I was able to get home but not sure what kind of issues are to follow. I read all over this forum of others having issues like this. Sounded like they just kept driving with it like that. By doing this is it causing further damage?
So is your gas low? When did you last fill up? How many miles since last fill up?

How old is your car battery?

Does 07 cobalt have electric power steering or regular fluid? (is your fluid level okay?)

Did you feel any tightness on the steering?
Old March 3rd, 2015, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default 08 Cobalt dash flicker security issue

Having the same problem as everyone else. Bought this car new, $21k and now it is a rock in my driveway. Dash started flickering and electrical shut down on my son and he pulled it off the road. Got it started, spitting, sputtering no power steering or brakes. Limped it to the dealer. They replaced the ignition and called saying they recommend a new engine for $6500 or 4300 for used. Car has 94000 miles and was baby'd all its life. I had it towed home. Was stuck in driveway dash, locks, radio, etc. flickering at me, can't get it out of park. Finally after several attempts, was blocking all the other cars, it went to normal long enough to get in neutral. Pushed it out of the way. Put it in park and now it sits as I try every day to move it again, dash lights, radio, locks etc.. flickering away. $21k rock can't even move it, more less get rid of it. Have always owned GM cars. Was looking to buy another new GM, but now I'm waiting to see how this Cobalt pans out.

Last edited by jrock; March 3rd, 2015 at 8:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 07 Cobalt Power Steering and security light issues