Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

07 Cobalt Power Steering and security light issues

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2015, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever have the issue resolved? I'm having a very similar problem. Thanks
Old June 2nd, 2015, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Did you ever have the issue resolved? I'm having the same problem...
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

I haven't had any success solving this problem. I've had all the recall work down and my power steering still drops out occasionally along with the electrical gauge/light/transmission problems described above. Typically I just unplug the 6-wire pigtail from the power steering under the dash. This leaves me without power steering, but all the other problems go away.

I asked the dealer if they could diagnose it when they did the recall work, but they said it would cost extra so I said don't bother. If I could afford that I wouldn't be driving a used Cobalt.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vtoddball
I haven't had any success solving this problem. I've had all the recall work down and my power steering still drops out occasionally along with the electrical gauge/light/transmission problems described above. Typically I just unplug the 6-wire pigtail from the power steering under the dash. This leaves me without power steering, but all the other problems go away.

I asked the dealer if they could diagnose it when they did the recall work, but they said it would cost extra so I said don't bother. If I could afford that I wouldn't be driving a used Cobalt.

I found a 20 amp ignition fuse blown. I replaced it and everything is working now. However.... I still have the intermittent transmission hard shift issue. (it seems worse if I allow the car to idle for any amount of time). I also continually get a cylinder #1 misfire fault, when the transmission acts up. I've replaced the four plugs and the ignition coil for #1 - it still acts up. I owned a 2007 cobalt and never had one single issue in 120k miles....
Old June 4th, 2015, 8:46 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vtoddball

We'll gladly touch base with your dealership to explore additional options on your behalf, vtoddball. If interested please verify your VIN and full contact info via private message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 5th, 2015, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still wacko

Mine is still messed up. Dealer replaced the transmission harness to fix a hard shift that would not clear up after the gauges cleared up. It did clear up the constant hard shift but the original problem with intermittent gauges with hard shifts is still there. I installed a battery disconnect that I use to clear the problem. When the gauges go crazy and transmission starts shifting hard I smack the BCM on the right side of the console which clears up the gauges. When I stop I disconnect the battery for a minute or two and then the transmission shifts right again. Been doing this for about 40K miles now. I decided just to live with the problem because there doesn't seem to be a real fix for it and the car isn't worth cost of having the dealer continuously troubleshoot it. Next car will be a Honda or Toyota. Chevy makes great trucks but small cars are not their strong suit.
Old July 27th, 2015, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone had a resolution for this problem? My 2009 cobalt has also been doing this for a couple years. The security light will come on while driving, then all the gauges will drop (gas, engine rpms, speed) and then they will jump all over the place for a while. Eventually they settle down and go back to where they should be but the car seems very sluggish if I continue to drive it with the security light on. I have a 9 month old son, and it happened with him in the car the other day, and it makes me very anxious.
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still no Resolution!!!

I have a 2009 Cobalt LT with only 60K miles. It will throw a DTC if allowed to idle for longer than a minute (any red light in traffic or waiting in line for fast food!!!!) The fault is a P0301 for cylinder #1 misfire. If the Check Engine Light starts flashing, cylinder #1 will shut down completely - causing the car to shake and sets the severe hard shift issue. I have my scanner connected always - as soon as I clear the fault, the hard shift goes away immediately, but will come back if I have to idle the car. I'm tired of having service writers argue with me that the car has no issues! I'm out of my 5 yr. warranty (2014) so dealers have tried to charge me to tell me what I already know. My 20 amp ignition fuse will blow intermittently (twice a month, average of 300 miles driven per week), causing me to lose AC, Power steering and all dash warning lights. I've had the ignition recall completed (was promised a gift card, which never transpired - dealer told me I had to wait on corporate GM.... whatever...) I've been a technician for 22 years with an engine company, I'm the shop technical lead. I'm really upset that with 60K miles on my cobalt I'm going to have to complete a cylinder compression test and cylinder leak down to verify what I already fear... I have a sneaking suspicion that my exhaust valve seats on cylinder #1 are smoked, causing the idle issue that clears up during any sort of driving (either highway or street). Why won't GM help me!! 60K miles!!! I know on 2.2L ecotec engines this has been a problem. I'm now looking down the barrel of purchasing a new cylinder head plus fearing that my catalytic converter may be damaged from this failure and all my labor and downtime of the repair.. 60 thousand miles!!!! are you kidding me!!! Why won't any dealer listen to me? Why won't GM help me? I'm soooo frustrated with my Cobalt...
Old November 4th, 2015, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

I'm assuming no one has found a resolution for this problem still? I have a 2009 Cobalt. I love it and fortunately have not had many problems with it at all.

The first time this happened, I had just put gas in the car so I thought the cap wasn't on properly. It went away after a day but the next time I put gas in, it happened again.

I guess I have to take it to a garage. I'm not that scared driving it at the moment because it runs fine but with winter coming I'm getting a bit anxious. Also, I would hate to do more damage by putting something off.
Old November 11th, 2015, 1:43 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default How is this not resolved?

I own a 2007 Chevy cobalt lt and I have the same problem as everyone here. I'll be driving then suddenly my dash lights and gauges go crazy and it dings telling me my power steering is broken (when its not). And then other times also while driving, the security light comes on and all of my guages drop to 0, occasionally the gas pedal quits working momentarily as well. This is such a dangerous problem and I'm shocked gm hasn't had any recals or resolutions towards it.

Quick Reply: 07 Cobalt Power Steering and security light issues