Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

07 Cobalt Power Steering and security light issues

Old November 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having same issues I own a 0 Chevy.cobalt.. Will start as I start the car, driving the car.. first time my car completely shut off and restarted while I was in 5th gear doing 60 mph on the highway lost all power then once I.was safely.pulled over everything started fluctuating. Mine didn't start having issues until the ignition stuff was replaced. Have taken it in and nobody seems to find the problem. This week it has happened more and more. Today twice already. All gauges go haywire and fluctuate. Then mellow out. I have a rebuilt engine in mine and only have 50k miles but none of this started until the recall for ignition.

I am a very frustrated Chevy owner!!
Old December 6th, 2015, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Security light/power steering

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
DWheeling,

I am sorry you are having these concerns with your vehicle. If you would like for us to look further into this concern for you, please let us know. You can private message me your name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and address. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
I have no idea what's happening to my car. Security light is on and the power steering is not working. It won't turn over the 1st couple of times then starts! My cell
Old July 17th, 2016, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vtoddball
I encountered the Chevy Cobalt issue where the security light would turn on and the gauges would all go wonky and occasionally “twitch”. Also, the text screen would flash “POWER STEERING” and “LOW FUEL”. Sometimes this was accompanied by the transmission shifting poorly and the power steering actually not working.

I identified the problem, but haven't replaced anything yet. While the problem was presenting, with the car running I looked directly under the dash/steering column and found the power steering motor. There is a large module with three connectors. Two of the connectors are heavy gauge and obviously power. The third is a bundle of 5-6 smaller wires. The moment I unplugged that small bundle, all the gauges went back to normal and everything(except the power steering) worked properly. I plugged it back in and everything went crazy again. It seems apparent it's the module itself or the wiring harness TO that module.

This is a quick, easy and free way to find the root of the problem and much more certain than all the other speculation I've been seeing. I'm posting because I saw this problem all over the web with no solutions.

I haven't replaced anything or fixed it yet, but I feel a lot better at least knowing what it is.
YES!!!!
As you mentioned, I found out that if you unplug any of the wire harness on to the power steering motor "under the dashboard" the security light disappears, so I tracked the wires and found one going through the fire wall, I pulled on it a little and noticed some nicks on the wires, then when I tried the ignition again, the problem was gone!

YES!!!!

My conclusion; a short on the wire from the power steering going through the firewall... 1 cent worth of electric tape fixed the issue!
I've also followed the ground wire going to the body behind the fuse box on the side of the strut, it seemed a little green so I pored a little coke on it. i'm not quite sure if by pulling on it from the inside it might have made connection at that point or if it was the nicked wires going through the firewall. At this point it seems to be fixed. if I have more issues on this I will post about it.

Last edited by Stephane Bolduc; July 17th, 2016 at 1:40 PM.
Old September 7th, 2016, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Problem solved!

We had exact same problem with our '06 cobalt. We replaced the battery and it seemed to fix it for a few days. Then my husband added a ground wire out of sheer curiosity and BOOM problem solved. Apparently it wasn't grounded correctly.

•  
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having this same problem with my 2008 Cobalt. Started last winter, I had the gauges go crazy and the power steering shut off on me twice and it hadn't happened at all up until this winter and it's happened twice already. I did however have my radio turning off by itself and change stations randomly throughout the summer. Still trying to figure out what's wrong with it!
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

I just joined the problem club 2 days ago when my 2007 Cobalt exhibited the same behavior. Fortunately it only lasted a brief time, but now neither my mechanic nor I can track down the cause without symptoms to check. All recalls have been performed, and our car has 106,000 miles. This problem seems so rampant (NHTSA complaints across multiple model years) that maybe there is or should be a TSB issued. It sure seems like someone at Chevrolet should have found an answer by now.

If a Chevrolet Customer Care representative could chime in to give us any updates available it would be appreciated.

This is the car my wife prefers to drive, but now she is rightfully nervous about this happening when I am not around, or with grandkids in the car. Has anyone had any safety/accident issues?
Old April 6th, 2017, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Security message and power steering

This has by far been the most frustrating car issue I have ever had. I have bought and driven GM vehicles my entire life and was always happy with them until this one.
Bought a 2006 Pontiac Pursuit about 5 years ago and now, at 11 years old it only has 160,000km. I maintain it well and never had issues until this power steering recall. Car went in for both power steering recall and ignition recall. Since that, nothing but problems.
Power steering chime and message along with security light- always both at same time and never just one. Passenger power locks stopped working at same time too. Will be driving and all of a sudden I lose steering. Has been back to dealer 3 times since recall and they say "it doesn't display problem for them" and say it's on me to fix it. It is quite apparent it's part of this recall and they won't accept responsibility for the issue.
I can't sell the car this way because it is unsafe and I'm hesitant to continue buying GM vehicles if they don't stand behind their recall work.
No solutions and no mechanic can figure it out. Replaced tonnes of parts, new keys and remotes, new power steering motor, etc etc and still issue persists.
It's ridiculous.

Morgan
Old October 12th, 2021, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with my car 2007 chevy cobalt it's been sitting for 4 months now I'm a single mom of 6 boys and this has been a nightmare taking the bus to football games is such a pain can't afford a new one as I lost my job to vivid a recently ended up in a wheelchair if someone finds a solution please let me kno if love to not have to ride a bus in a wheelchair with 4 teenagers