Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2005 cobalt electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2011, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 cobalt electrical problem

Hi, just bought a 2005 chevy cobalt with 45k miles. Pretty standard with manual locks, auto trans, manual windows. Have been having a repeated electrical problem that comes in two forms.
1. On startup the gauges all loose power and all lights in the dash loose power except the brake light is illuminated. On top of this the cd player goes into lock mode. The car runs fine, all headlights, blinkers... work. There is an occasional click coming from the steering column area.
2. As we are moving down the road the car randomly looses power to the gauges and dash lights except the brake light illuminates. Sometimes this lasts for a few seconds other times it stays like that for the duration of the drive.

Took it to a dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong with it, and they couldnt get either problem to reoccur (so they never saw it happen). Since I got it back it seems to be doing it often, yet in a random manor. Not sure if its related but I think the cd player has been on each time this has happened. I would appreciate any ideas of what to check out. Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you tried having one of the techs ride with you to see if the vehicle will replicate the problem with them in the vehicle? If you would like I could set up a case for you. Just direct message me and I will take it from there. I hope that helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service