Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2006 Cobalt LS Steering Issue?

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2017, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Cobalt LS Steering Issue?

Hello all,
Just to be clear, this is my first time using this forum and I didn't see a rules post, so I hope I'm doing this right.

I have a 2006 Cobalt LS with the 2.2L Ecotech in it and it's the version without ABS.

Basically, a driver was on the center line and I realized they weren't going to move over so I moved over at the last second. This means that I gave the steering wheel a hardy pull to the right. Now, to get the car to go straight, I need to put the steering wheel a little bit to the right. Putting the steering wheel to straight results in the car slightly turning left. It's like the whole steering wheel has moved right a little bit...

I'm so confused. Is this something I need to be worried about or should I just ignore it?

Thanks in advance to all that answer.

-Darren
Old March 5th, 2017, 4:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steering is probably out of alignment;
i would get it checked, because if you let the steering pull, it can wreck your tires.
You could have loosened a control arm, bushing, ball joint might be broken...
Did you brake any?
Bad brakes can cause a car to pull to one side too.
I would get it checked. You don't want to be driving with any damaged/loose parts, & things might get worse & cause an accident.
Old March 5th, 2017, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Steering is probably out of alignment;
i would get it checked, because if you let the steering pull, it can wreck your tires.
You could have loosened a control arm, bushing, ball joint might be broken...
Did you brake any?
Bad brakes can cause a car to pull to one side too.
I would get it checked. You don't want to be driving with any damaged/loose parts, & things might get worse & cause an accident.
Thanks for responding.

Steering is not pulling. If I have the wheel to the right so the car is going straight, I can let go of the wheel and it will continue straight. I braked, but not hard. Hitting the brakes did not cause pulling before this, and still doesn't cause pulling. Everything seems fine except for the steering wheel not being centered with the drive wheels. Would this be as simple as an alignment issue?
Old March 5th, 2017, 6:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

yes.

the steering is off-center. Have it aligned.

A pre-alignment inspection will be done as part of the alignment. If any steering or suspension parts are worn, it will be found at this step and part replacement will be needed before completing the alignment.
If no worn parts are found, a simple toe correction adjustment will re-center the steering wheel.
Old March 5th, 2017, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Cool, thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!