Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

blower motor on my 2008 cobalt will not turn on

Old May 2nd, 2013, 3:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor on my 2008 cobalt will not turn on

hey guys, gals,

The blower motor on my 2008 Cobalt stopped working about a week ago. The a/c or heater doesn't turn on on any of the fan speeds. I called the Chevy dealer to see what they could do but after they told me it would be $100 just for them to take a look I I've decided to see if this is something I can diagnose in fix on my own.

So far I have checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. I replaced the blower motor resistor, but that didn't fix it either. I think that its narrowed down to 2 more possible fixes 1) replace the blower motor or 2) replace the blower motor relay.

Any idea what it could be? or am I completely off. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mike
Old May 2nd, 2013, 5:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This most likely has a bad switch or resistor or relay, see if there is power at the heated resistor.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Are there any relays in the fuse box you can swap it with to check it out?
sometimes the fuel pump relay is the same or the head lamp relay, if you can it may help eliminate shot gunning of parts that aren't broke...
Old May 3rd, 2013, 1:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input guys, I swapped some relay switches and fuses but still no luck. Then I was driving into town this afternoon and hit a pretty decent sized pothole in the road and the fan turned on for about 2 second then shut back off.

So at least I know I don't need a new blower motor, but now I'm really confused as to what it could be.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 1:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Sounds as if you might have a bad electrical connection. Did you check your wires going to and from the motor and fuse box?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 1:13 AM
CF Beginner

I didn't have a chance to get around to it today but I will definitely be checking that tomorrow.
Old May 5th, 2013, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I figured out what it is with the help of my father-in-law. Apparently, he said he had the same problem with his saab and a few other cars he has owned over the years. He said, with the ignition on, to turn on the fan and tap the blower motor housing to see if it turned on; well low and behold it worked. He said it means that your blower motor is going out and will have to be replaced in the near future.

So, thanks again everyone for the input. Im a little wiser and I hope if anything this helps someone else with the same problem!
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the follow up on what you found, please do keep us posted if and when you replace the blower... take a few pictures of the process if you can
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Glad to hear you found out your problem.