Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Help!...07 Cobalt under 60k...electrical/door locks /anti-theft problems

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!...07 Cobalt under 60k...electrical/door locks /anti-theft problems

I have started to have very annoying problems with my 07 cobalt. For no reason whatsoever the power locks will start to go crazy and lock themselves over and over again which cause the car to let out an audible beep(like if you hit the lock button on the keyless entry twice). It will do this randomly and for no reason...I will be in my house and all of a sudden I will hear my car beeping over and over again and I will go outside and see that it is locking over itself a million time and then it will stop for a minute and then start up again it is very random...the only way to stop the beeping is to turn the power on and if I want to go a 1/2 without running outside then I have to disconnect the battery...this is a very frustrating problem and I hope someone might be able to help
Old January 27th, 2013, 1:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

How old is the battery? I am not a keyless entry person at all in regards to working on them. My experience with this issue is a weak battery.
Old January 27th, 2013, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

It is relatively new...I had it checked out and they said it is running at 430 out of 500 amps
Old January 27th, 2013, 1:58 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

may also want to check the condition of the ground... I know on the 09's the battery is in the trunk, if yours is there also check the ground cables to/from battery and to/from the engine....
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Rcaha960,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. The other posters offer a good suggestion regarding the battery and/or ground issue.

Another possibility is an issue with the door lock switch; it may be sticking or need to be replaced. This is just a suggestion and is not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to assist you further after inspecting the vehicle.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 29th, 2013, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Key fob battery issue, had the same issue. Need to replace them I've noticed every six months
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

just finished fixing this very same problem. Gm has a tsb for it. The door lock switches are corroding and sticking. Remove the switches and you will find green corrosion on the contacts. Clean or replace the switches.
Old March 12th, 2013, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I am having this same issue at the moment minus the beeping, and it continues while driving only stopping for a couple seconds before continually locking once again. I have an 05' and I'm just curious what some thoughts are on the passlock system shorting, or possibly something in the gear shift. I have a fairly new battery and the lock switches don't have any corrosion on them...any thoughts are greatly appreciated. This as been going on for about 4 hours now, but I'd like to fix the issue asap of course.