Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Check engine light reader

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Check engine light reader

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums here... so, hello! I drive a 2006 Cobalt coupe and it has about 45,000 miles on it. It is a great car and I have been very happy with it.

The infamous check engine light came on today while I was driving home from work (the first time it has happened). I am not skilled with cars, but I didn't want to take it into a mechanic to pay however much money for them just to take a look. I'm a broke college student, so I would prefer not to pay for the check engine readers that you can buy at auto stores if I don't have to, so my question is this:

Is there a way to read the code from the car without a reader? My friend had a 2003 Chrysler, and when he had the light turn on, he turned the ignition key back and forth a few times and the code read across the dash. Do you know if there are any tricks like this for the Cobalt? If not, are there auto stores that do a reading for free?

Any input would be a big help -- thanks in advance!
Old August 5th, 2010, 9:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
Auto Zone or Advance auto and many other places will read the code for you at no charge....You can pick up your own reader at Harbor Fright for about $40 and you will be able to clear the codes as well...however clearing it will not fix it...