Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Intermittent A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2015, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent A/C problem

I read through some of the other posts on this issue and it seems like mine may be a little different.

My A/C works great when it works, not low on freon (checked low side only as I no longer have manifold gauges ), does not cycle on and off, my coolant temp and ambient temp seem to be reading fine, however still the A/C sometimes just doesn't work. Clutch doesn't even try to engage when it isn't working and locks right up when it is working.

My thoughts are A/C relay, or pressure switch? Anything else I could be missing?

P.S. I don't think this is related but my cruise control works only about 75% of the time, the key fob works about 95% of the time, the fob controlled trunk button does not work, my front speakers do not work, and the passenger airbag sensor thing is broken.
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Alright so quick update. Removed the relay and ran a jumper wire. This made the clutch engage and the A/C work. Tried replacing the relay and still nothing.
Old June 25th, 2015, 2:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Any problems with your temperature display not showing a reading?

It could be a bad coolant temperature sensor.
Old June 25th, 2015, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Coolant and ambient temp work fine always.
Old July 12th, 2015, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

It could be 1 faulty relay switch, 2 blown fuse and last is worn out clutch compressor.
Old July 19th, 2015, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

My 2008 5 speed has intermittent problems with the AC too. When my temperature gage does not give a temperature readout, my AC does not blow cold. When the temperature gauge works, AC blows nice and cold. Defrost same symptoms as AC.
It coded P0128, and so I replaced the temp sending unit, then the thermostat. Still workes sometimes, sometimes not.
Now my tachometer sometimes quits working and the engine misfires, stalled completely once.
Any ideas? I have had my ignition changed out under the recall a few months back.