Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Low beams stopped working but high beams do work. Fuses still good

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2011, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beams stopped working but high beams do work. Fuses still good

I have a 2008 two door chevy cobolt sport.

My low beams stopped working. The high beams work and all other lights work. The fuses are still good.

I have been unable to trouble shoot the issue on my own.

Anyone have an idea of where the trouble is at?

Last edited by Aaron Green; December 8th, 2011 at 8:12 PM.
Old December 8th, 2011, 8:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> It sounds like your low beams may have burnt out. Low beams are used more; therefore they burn out before high beams. The high beams and low beams are usually either separate bulbs or filaments. If you are still under warranty, swing by the dealer and have them replace them for you. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure the demographics has something to do with it but sometimes it's a crapshoot with the Cobalt. A buddy of mine once told me that he finds surprises plenty in them. Has there been any modifications to the vehicle? Do the low beams work as DRL?
Old December 9th, 2011, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Repair complete

The low beam filaments were burned out. Thank you for the assistance.

This vehicle has no modifications to its design. I have considered doing it but cannot afford it atm. I am not sure what you mean by DRL as I am bit of a novice when it comes to automotive.
Old December 9th, 2011, 5:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They usually don't go at the same time and thus I'm surprised that you just noticed. As for DRL, I was referring to the Daytime Running Lamps I thought was standard these days.
Old September 18th, 2014, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
They usually don't go at the same time and thus I'm surprised that you just noticed. As for DRL, I was referring to the Daytime Running Lamps I thought was standard these days.

Grandson had both low beams burn out at the same time. Looked at the low beam fuses and the relay. Like you I've never seen both burn out at the same time.
Old October 25th, 2014, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Chevy Impala

My low beams not work at all now, but my high beam works good, Do I have to take the whole Front of the car to fix it??

Last edited by Jesse811; October 25th, 2014 at 3:16 PM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem (left side low beam fail while right one works well) and what even curious is the high beam does not work when I push forward the light control handle but work when I pull backward (i.e., I must hold it at this position if I want high beam work).
Old March 15th, 2015, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> It sounds like your low beams may have burnt out. Low beams are used more; therefore they burn out before high beams. The high beams and low beams are usually either separate bulbs or filaments. If you are still under warranty, swing by the dealer and have them replace them for you. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I have the same problem (left side low beam fail while right one works well) and what even curious is the high beam does not work when I push forward the light control handle but work when I pull backward (i.e., I must hold it at this position if I want high beam work). So, would you please to help me to figure it out?