Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

changing oil on a 2005 cobalt

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing oil on a 2005 cobalt

I am wanting to change the oil in my 2005 cobalt. I have bought the oil and filter, but the filter is not like most other oil filters, it is a cartridge type. I have a few questions, I see there is a big plastic cap/nut thing towards the front right side of the engine, is that where the cartridge goes? Do i just take that black plastic nut/cap off and pop the old filter out and put the new one in?, or is there anything else special i need to do? If someone could answer these couple questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 20th, 2007, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: changing oil on a 2005 cobalt

I'm not able to answer your question but I have a VERY GOOD suggestion. Buy a Haynes manual from PEP BOYS. Priceless. I've completed so many repairs myself that I wouldn't think of doing on my own. I know it's tough to dish out the $15 but I've saved thousands over the years with these repair manuals. Even projects as simple as an oil change or disk brake pad replacement may have a simple step you could skip that will cause you trouble in the future. I know first hand. I'll never own a car without some type of repair manual and this one has been just fine for me. Granted there are some repairs that shouldn't be attempted but so far I haven't ran across one yet. Head gaskets, timing chains, master cylinders, these are high dollar repair costs...with this book you can do it. Good luck
Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah i thought about getting a shop manual but i cant find it at any stores around here. The car is still under warranty so i shouldnt have to worry about any big repairs but i dont want to someone a ton of money to change my oil.Thanks for the help. Still looking if anyone knows.Thanks.
Old July 9th, 2007, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

I've done thousands of oil changes over the years, but I've not seen a Cobalt. It's hard to believe you can't find a Haynes or Chilton manual. Try the reference section at your local library. Someone at the auto parts dealer (Auto Zone, Advance Autoparts, Oreilly Pep Boys NAPA ) where you got the filter will know or their computer will have instructions.