Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

push button engine start

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2009, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default push button engine start

Trying to install an engine start switch, wondered if anybody had any advice or a wiring diagram for the ignition system. Also i killed power to my radio in the process because i shorted a power wire to ground, replaced the fuse and still doesnt work, any ideas would help.
Old June 30th, 2009, 9:05 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

not a very good idea.
Car's ignition switchs operate differently than what they used to. For one, you have a passlock system built into the key cylinder. It moniters the position of the key and sends a signal to the BCM that there is a key in the cylinder and its turning and allow a start signal to be sent. 2nd, there is a transponder chip in your key(no its not the little resister in the metal part), that interacts with a module that is installed around the key cylinder. It detects the presence of a valid key near the key cylinder, without a valid transponder code, the BCM will not allow for starting to happen.
3rd, most newer GM vehicles(cobalts included), no longer have a start wire at the key cylinder. The BCM also controls this part. When the BCM sees a valid transponder chip, the correct passlock value, and the ignition turn on, the accessory turn on, then accessory turn off, it then sends the signal to crank the engine and allow start.

Unless you are putting in a remote starter with the option for an external trigger, its totally not worth the hassle.
Old June 30th, 2009, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

okay thanks for the advice, any ideas on the dead radio?
Old July 1st, 2009, 5:55 PM
Banned

If you are sure the fuses are good, pull the radio, check for power at the radio.
there should be 1 red\white wire there that should be B+. If that has power, then there is a good chance the radio is dead
Old July 1st, 2009, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

actually had the fuse in the wrong spot, all good now
Old July 18th, 2009, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

so if i wanted to do it what would i need to do?
Old July 19th, 2009, 7:18 AM
Banned

A remote starter with a external trigger(I know VIPER has this option), and a by-pass module, and someone who knows gm ignition systems & remote starters very well to be able to set it up so that you are able to start it with the push of a button, but then keep it running without keys when you drive away