Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

reprogramed new key now security effed?

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2014, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question reprogramed new key now security effed?

ok i have an 06 cobalt i lost my keys and got a new cylinder and key, i tried to do the 30 min reprogram it worked somewhat, the car will turn over but the security wont turn off so its starting then stopping within a few seconds, i cut tha fuelpump and ran it to a seperate fuse to keep constant current and still it cuts off so im guessing tha comp is telling the fuel inj. to shut down.. so my question is why is my security light staying on even after i do the 30 min relearn procedure.. i changed tha tdm also and did another 30 min relearn with it.. im stumped any help would be much apprec>
Old November 21st, 2014, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default some1 help plz

hello 211 views no replies come on peoplez
Old November 21st, 2014, 8:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

your probably going to have to get the theft deterrent module reprogramed at the dealer. The ecm may need to be reprogrammed also. the tdm sends data to the pcm. if valid, the pcm sends a challenge code back to the tdm. there may be a problem in the message the pcm is sending back to the tdm. dealer reprogramming should fix it.

Last edited by tech2; November 21st, 2014 at 8:39 PM.
Old November 21st, 2014, 8:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Do you not have a recall for the ignition switch and cylinder? if you do get her done and all will be good. you can go to gm website enter your vin to see if you have the recall.

or

30-MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes , the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes . The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password.
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Last edited by burhead1; November 21st, 2014 at 8:47 PM.
Old December 20th, 2014, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
your probably going to have to get the theft deterrent module reprogramed at the dealer. The ecm may need to be reprogrammed also. the tdm sends data to the pcm. if valid, the pcm sends a challenge code back to the tdm. there may be a problem in the message the pcm is sending back to the tdm. dealer reprogramming should fix it.
that really sux i hope ur wrong lol, but i appreciate it, i think ur probably right because now wen i try to do the 30 min relearn after 10 mins the telltale stays on. i have left the key in the on position for up to 15 mins and tha damn telltale stays on it wont turn off any more,
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

if you could get the body codes read; maybe we could diagnose it here. you will need a full function scan tool. Without the dtc, its a guessing game.
Old December 21st, 2014, 8:15 PM
CF Junior Member

GM Ignition Recall Safety Information

again if the recall has not been done just get it done and your problem will be solved.
Old December 21st, 2014, 9:08 PM
Super Moderator

yeah; if you can convince them the security problems are from the lock cylinder....good luck with that.
Old December 21st, 2014, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
yeah; if you can convince them the security problems are from the lock cylinder....good luck with that.
Not suggesting they repair it, they will be replacing the keys, cylinder and switch at which point they will have to program it all for FREE. Less the tow.
Problem solved! or am i missing something?
Old December 21st, 2014, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator

they don't have to reprogram to add keys.

Quick Reply: reprogramed new key now security effed?