Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

2016 Colorado Ext Cab - Falso Open Door Alarm

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2016, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2016 Colorado Ext Cab - Falso Open Door Alarm

I plan to take my new Colorado in for warranty service but I wondered if anyone else had the problem I'm having as soon as I drove my new Colorado off the lot. It seems that when I get up to highway speed (70mph) or am hit with a gust of wind, or hit a bump in the road, the open door indicator and bell goes off (indicating right or left rear doors are open), the power door locks click and the overhead interior light comes on. I keep dismissing it but it continues to go off. I have stopped the vehicle and checked all doors and locks multiple times and not found any door ajar. It's fair intermittent as well - does happen predictably but once it starts it doesn't stop. Happens during both warm or cold conditions. Any suggestions?
Old January 14th, 2016, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default I meant FALSE, not FALSO!

I meant FALSE, not FALSO!
Old February 6th, 2016, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

I've been searching the web for Chevy false door ajar issue. I have a new 2016 Colorado Extended cab LT. I've had it for about 6 weeks and have the same issue. It started on the driver's suicide door and now it also occurs on the passenger suicide door. Any bump on the road, pothole, seam on a bridge, even an uneven road triggers the door ajar alarm and then the clicking of the lock door mechanism. Once triggered it goes off for the entire ride. Pull over, open and close all doors, get back in and drive and at least 1 or both doors door ajar alarm starts again. Can be quite maddening.
I took it to the shop last week, when I picked the truck up they told me they couldn't replicate the problem. They obviously didn't drive the truck. It's back in the shop now, again techs said they couldn't replicate the problem. My salesman took it out for a drive himself and the door ajar alarms went off. The truck is still in the shop. Salesman mentioned this is a problem with the 2016 Colorado extended cabs. I've searched the web and see it's been a problem with other Chevys in other years. BCM comes up, or door latch. I'll keep researching on the web. I will post the dealership solution, whenever that happens.
Old February 11th, 2016, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought the 2016 Colorado as well and am faced with a similar issue. I actually noticed it on my test drive, but just figured the door wasn't shut all the way. Difference being the alarm only goes off regarding the passenger side suicide door. It gets set off if I take an aggressive left turn on smooth roads, or even if I take an easy left turn on bumpy roads. GM service told me they are "aware of a latch issue on the door that may be the cause of the problem". I've had them replace it but the problem is still there. Although, when they replaced the latch they screwed up the whole door and now I'm no longer even able to lock/unlock or open from the inside/outside of the door. I have it back in right now, so we'll see what happens. Personally I think it's less an issue with the latch and probably more an electrical issue in the sensor. I'll post again when I get my truck back and some answers.
Old February 11th, 2016, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

I posted this problem on an ASKforum, the mechanic had me do some troubleshooting. See snippets below.

Consider if you had a package in the truck bed, you take a right hand turn and it slides left, take a left hand turn it slides right. This is what the suicide door is doing. It does the same thing when on an uneven road that leans right or leans left, in that case the suicide door leans in the same direction as the road lean.

Interesting, makes me think it's a design flaw.

" Chevy Mechanic
What is the warning you get on the instrument cluster intermittent or all the time with the key on or running with all doors closed?

BSBravo
The problem only happens when you're driving. When you drive over bump, pothole, bridge seam, even if road has a lean to the right or left.

Display indicator shows driver suicide door (usually), or sometimes passenger suicide door, sometimes both. Alarm goes off, truck tries to power lock doors. Once triggered, it's very sensitive, it goes off for the rest of the drive.

Since last dealership fix of tightening down door bolts and such, now only driver suicide door alarms goes off, but every time I drive it.

Seems to be poor design, they should have figured this out years ago. I've seen issue reported on Chevy and other truck forums.

Chevy Mechanic
Can you start the vehicle, roll the drivers window down. Shut all doors. From the outside, grab the top of the front and rear door and tug on them, push them in. Can you make this warning occur?
If so does either door move what appears excessive?
We may need to take the approach of adjustment rather than alter.

BSBravo
Alright, I tried on both sides of vehicle. When you close the suicide door, then grab that door frame and pull toward you there is no play. Wasn't always the case but dealership did tighten bolts down.

I always close suicide, test for any play, then get it the truck and close front door.

For test, opened and closed each sides suicide and main door, push on both doors, at top, middle, bottom from outside.

Did the test on driver's side about 5 times, no alarm.

Did the test on passenger side, 5th time suicide alarm went off.

Returned back to driver's side, put hand through open window, grabbed frame where main and suicide door meet and pulled, it went off every time I tugged.

Returned back to passenger side, tugging test didn't trigger alarm over there.

Salesman tells me Chevy is aware of 2016 Colorado extended cab door alarm problem, they have yet to find a solution.

This is why I think the only solution is to disable the alarm. "
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver_Colorado
I plan to take my new Colorado in for warranty service but I wondered if anyone else had the problem I'm having as soon as I drove my new Colorado off the lot. It seems that when I get up to highway speed (70mph) or am hit with a gust of wind, or hit a bump in the road, the open door indicator and bell goes off (indicating right or left rear doors are open), the power door locks click and the overhead interior light comes on. I keep dismissing it but it continues to go off. I have stopped the vehicle and checked all doors and locks multiple times and not found any door ajar. It's fair intermittent as well - does happen predictably but once it starts it doesn't stop. Happens during both warm or cold conditions. Any suggestions?
We’re sorry to hear of this, Oliver_Colorado, as this is certainly not how we want our customers to feel driving a new vehicle. If your Colorado is still experiencing this concern we’re able to stand as an additional layer of assistance between yourself and your dealer on your behalf. If interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information and name of servicing dealership.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Baldthunder
I just bought the 2016 Colorado as well and am faced with a similar issue. I actually noticed it on my test drive, but just figured the door wasn't shut all the way. Difference being the alarm only goes off regarding the passenger side suicide door. It gets set off if I take an aggressive left turn on smooth roads, or even if I take an easy left turn on bumpy roads. GM service told me they are "aware of a latch issue on the door that may be the cause of the problem". I've had them replace it but the problem is still there. Although, when they replaced the latch they screwed up the whole door and now I'm no longer even able to lock/unlock or open from the inside/outside of the door. I have it back in right now, so we'll see what happens. Personally I think it's less an issue with the latch and probably more an electrical issue in the sensor. I'll post again when I get my truck back and some answers.
Hello Baldthunder,

I’m very sorry to hear you’re continuing to experience concerns with your 2016 Colorado. We understand this may be frustrating as you don’t expect to run into an issue with a newer model vehicle. I do see that your truck is back at the dealership. Please keep us in the loop regarding your visit and contact us via private message if additional assistance is needed. Have a great weekend and I look forward to your future updates!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

Any resolution on this? I also just purchased a 2016 Colorado Extended Cab and have this issue. Door ajar alarm goes off going over bumps, turning, etc., and the automatic locks repeatedly go on and off. Took it to the dealer and they intend to replace the door latch. I am not optimistic this will resolve the issue.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

My second return to the dealership for this issue resulted in them adjusting the door strikers (if you open the suicide doors, the metal rod that would catch the bottom of the suicide door, it's mounted on the truck frame), They pulled the strikers inward towards the cab, I don't know if this required drilling new holes, it's a slight adjustment inward, but it's apparent when viewing that they have been moved inward. (Slight paint color difference.)

Before the fix, door open alarm went off 9 times out of 10 when driving, after the fix
alarm went off 1 time out of 10 when driving for the first couple of weeks. The
last 2 weeks alarm hasn't gone off at all. I believe the issue is resolved for my truck.

(Do latches have a break-in period?? Lubricating the latch assembly that's inside the bottom of the suicide door might also help.)
Old June 17th, 2016, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

I had a similar issue when I first got my truck. Before I had a chance to bring it back to the dealership, the alarm stopped going off on its own. Seems odd, but it must have settled in over time.