Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

2016 Colorado Ext Cab - Falso Open Door Alarm

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2016, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry so late to see this,but if you get a chance check out my first 7 posts. Sounds a little like some of what i have been through.Looks like GM has not changed much.Just to let you know i have never had my issues fixed from any of the dealerships.
I have just gotten use to living with theses problems.I have read that GM has major ground issues with the cars and trucks.
Good luck.
Old July 18th, 2020, 6:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsbravo
I posted this problem on an ASKforum, the mechanic had me do some troubleshooting. See snippets below.

Consider if you had a package in the truck bed, you take a right hand turn and it slides left, take a left hand turn it slides right. This is what the suicide door is doing. It does the same thing when on an uneven road that leans right or leans left, in that case the suicide door leans in the same direction as the road lean.

Interesting, makes me think it's a design flaw.

" Chevy Mechanic
What is the warning you get on the instrument cluster intermittent or all the time with the key on or running with all doors closed?

BSBravo
The problem only happens when you're driving. When you drive over bump, pothole, bridge seam, even if road has a lean to the right or left.

Display indicator shows driver suicide door (usually), or sometimes passenger suicide door, sometimes both. Alarm goes off, truck tries to power lock doors. Once triggered, it's very sensitive, it goes off for the rest of the drive.

Since last dealership fix of tightening down door bolts and such, now only driver suicide door alarms goes off, but every time I drive it.

Seems to be poor design, they should have figured this out years ago. I've seen issue reported on Chevy and other truck forums.

Chevy Mechanic
Can you start the vehicle, roll the drivers window down. Shut all doors. From the outside, grab the top of the front and rear door and tug on them, push them in. Can you make this warning occur?
If so does either door move what appears excessive?
We may need to take the approach of adjustment rather than alter.

BSBravo
Alright, I tried on both sides of vehicle. When you close the suicide door, then grab that door frame and pull toward you there is no play. Wasn't always the case but dealership did tighten bolts down.

I always close suicide, test for any play, then get it the truck and close front door.

For test, opened and closed each sides suicide and main door, push on both doors, at top, middle, bottom from outside.

Did the test on driver's side about 5 times, no alarm.

Did the test on passenger side, 5th time suicide alarm went off.

Returned back to driver's side, put hand through open window, grabbed frame where main and suicide door meet and pulled, it went off every time I tugged.

Returned back to passenger side, tugging test didn't trigger alarm over there.

Salesman tells me Chevy is aware of 2016 Colorado extended cab door alarm problem, they have yet to find a solution.

This is why I think the only solution is to disable the alarm. "
how does one go about disabling this open door alarm? i've got this issue on my 2020 colorado!
Old December 13th, 2020, 8:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you confident it is the suicide door ajar sensors to blame?

What is the warning you get on the instrument cluster intermittent or all the time with the key on or running with all doors closed?