I hate TPMS - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

I hate TPMS

CF Junior Member

saskatchewan

October 19th, 2016, 4:46 PM   #1  
I hate TPMS

As the weather is getting colder the TPMS comes on for no reason, I reset the things and next morning the light starts flashing, but if I drive for 15 minutes it stops and if I shut the truck off and restart everything is fine. It is exactly what you would expect if it had a battery that is gettinglow. The truck is a 2010 and the tires were replaced last fall. It wasn't a problem last winter at -30 now it fails at 0.
I thought I read that the sensors would last 10 years, the only purpose of this system is to generate income for the tire industry. The sensors are expensive and then you have to pay a tire shop to do the service because unlike the old days, changing a tire now requires more than a couple of tire lEvers and some soapy water. I see some people even suggest that it is illegal to remove them or drive while the warning light is on.

CF Beginner

February 16th, 2017, 4:13 PM   #2  
over the last few months I have had new sensors put in and then I also had the tires changed to winter tires. Two different tire shops checked the sensors and both found that 2 of the sensors were reading 10 psi lower than the actual tire pressure. All winter the lights came on and stayed on, then this week the temperature outside rose to above +5C and guess what the lights have all gone out and everything (well the airbag light is on ) is working

CF Junior Member

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

February 16th, 2017, 5:13 PM   #3  
Seriously, don't even think about those sensors.
they are SOOOO buggy & basically useless!!
my dad makes me check my tire pressure myself

CF Monarch

February 16th, 2017, 9:06 PM   #4  
Posted By: srp204 As the weather is getting colder the TPMS comes on for no reason, I reset the things and next morning the light starts flashing, but if I drive for 15 minutes it stops and if I shut the truck off and restart everything is fine. It is exactly what you would expect if it had a battery that is gettinglow. The truck is a 2010 and the tires were replaced last fall. It wasn't a problem last winter at -30 now it fails at 0.
I thought I read that the sensors would last 10 years, the only purpose of this system is to generate income for the tire industry. The sensors are expensive and then you have to pay a tire shop to do the service because unlike the old days, changing a tire now requires more than a couple of tire lEvers and some soapy water. I see some people even suggest that it is illegal to remove them or drive while the warning light is on.
make sure the pressures are set 2psi over the placard. if set at the placard number, on cold days what you have described will happen.

the purpose of the system is emissions. Under-inflated tires can increase fuel mileage as much as 4%.

CF Beginner

February 17th, 2017, 8:38 AM   #5  
not 2 psi

When the temperature drops into the -15 or colder range two of the sensors read 10 psi lower than the actual tire pressure. Two different tire shops confirmed this with their remote handheld readers . A 2 psi decrease due to the cold might be explainable but 10 psi is not.

CF Monarch

February 17th, 2017, 8:51 AM   #6  
my response was addressed to the op; see quote

Last edited by tech2; February 17th, 2017 at 8:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send