Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Intermittent loss of engine power

Old December 19th, 2008, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent loss of engine power

I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado that has about 85,000 miles on it. Off and on since I have had this truck I will have a problem where the engine will seem to lose power, but remain running. I will press the acclerator and the car will seem to only coast. If I turn it off and then re-start it, the engine seems to be okay. I think it seems to be more of a problem in the winter and probably seems to be on hilly terrain. Usually it happens within the first 5 minutes of driving. The dealer seemed unaware of the problem and had no suggestions since they could not repeat it. It seems to only happen about twice a year. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this one?
Old September 14th, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Frank, my dad just bought an 04 and it is doing the same thing. I know post is old but if your still on this forum how did you fix it?
Old November 12th, 2010, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Just paid $80 to find out that it is a "known" problem with these trucks that the positive and neg. battery cables are really week and are giving them problems.
Old August 8th, 2011, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Possibly bad gas at times also can give erratic performance.......
Old May 4th, 2012, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Loss of power

Has anybody experienced or come up with a solution to this issue. My 2004 Colorado has been doing the same thing. It seems to idle slow when displaying this issue, 500 RPM or less. It almost seems like it wants to stall. When driving, and it only happens at slow speeds, I could depress the accellerator to the floor and it does nothing.
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Also searching for this problem

Although this is a very powerful and sophisticated trucked. I have noticed that it is manufactured with modernized and streamlined technology. The kind of issue, or problem that you have raised over here is also very new to me and also very strange. As far as this issue is concerned, I have no clues regarding this issue.
Old July 31st, 2012, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Any CEL on? Also check for TSB

A CEL might be the place to start. Get it scanned to see if any are stored. Some aparts stores like AA and AZ will scan and not charge you. Also look for a TSB on this problem. This is not a recall, but a Tech. Service Bulletin to tell the svc. tech's about common problems and solutions. The next step is to find a good forum where knowledgeable people will help you find a solution to your problems.
Old April 19th, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

i found when mine was giving me fits id have to get out and kick the tank a few times and it would be ok for a while and then it got to the point where i changed the fuel pump and problem solved!
Old February 14th, 2017, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Frank! What was the problem? Please help me out!

Originally Posted by frankh65
I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado that has about 85,000 miles on it. Off and on since I have had this truck I will have a problem where the engine will seem to lose power, but remain running. I will press the acclerator and the car will seem to only coast. If I turn it off and then re-start it, the engine seems to be okay. I think it seems to be more of a problem in the winter and probably seems to be on hilly terrain. Usually it happens within the first 5 minutes of driving. The dealer seemed unaware of the problem and had no suggestions since they could not repeat it. It seems to only happen about twice a year. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this one?
My suburban is doing the exact thing! Please tell me what the problem was and how you fixed it. Thank you!
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fletchandriss
My suburban is doing the exact thing! Please tell me what the problem was and how you fixed it. Thank you!
I drive my dads Colorado in winter, & last year it kept dying & Reduced Engine Power, & this year, i drove to work (everything was fine,) went to go home, wouldn't go over 35mph.
The problem (for me, anyways,) was:
the cold weather.
the valves would get warm, & get moisture, then it would freeze, & the valves stick, & you have reduced engine power, until the engine warms up enough.
The other day, i was going to the store, started it, kept dying. i just kept my foot on the gas
@ about 2000 rpm, so it wouldn't die,
drove to 7-11 (2 blocks away,) shut it off,
ran inside (5 minutes)
came & started it, & it worked fine.
no other problems except that

& no real cure except
letting the engine warm up so the valves unfreeze

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent loss of engine power